Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well with a name like Struttinbuck I was expecting to see a Native American. Story behid your name Struttinbuck?

But anyhow, loved your accent, and the fact that in this hobby a guy can do a presentation in torn jeans and looking like a homeless person, but be taken seriously. You also seem pretty friendly and a guy I would like to meet. Have subscribed to your channel :).

Didn't seem like a lot of mites on the drop board to me but of course we don't know how many in the hive to start with. First thing that struck me when I watched the video was temperature and conversion to formic. The gauge is probably slow and it's pretty likely a decent portion of that oxalic is being turned to formic. Time will tell if you are getting great results but if you discover you are not, temperature will be the thing to look at.
Thank you Oldtimer. I am a very proud grease monkey for sure. Now Mrs. Struttinbuck being a director of housekeeping at a hospital agrees with you that while I am working, I look like a homeless person. Lol. But she claims I clean up well. So I think it's a win win for me.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Funny story, elderly electrician used to live a few doors down from us, long beard and tatty clothes but he was a successful electrician and owned a very upmarket home. But each Sunday afternoon if the weather was good he would go down to the park that adjoined our houses and sit there a couple of hours enjoying the sun and watching the kids play sports and stuff. He would take a 6 pack of beer and slowly drink it, returning home once the beer was finished.

But my (then) wife and I thought it was hysterical, we could see him out our window and he really did look like a complete down and out, I don't know if he ever realised. Women with children would give him a wide berth 😄.

Anyhow, sorry about the slight aside, back to topic :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Well with a name like Struttinbuck I was expecting to see a Native American. Story behid your name Struttinbuck?

But anyhow, loved your accent, and the fact that in this hobby a guy can do a presentation in torn jeans and looking like a homeless person, but be taken seriously. You also seem pretty friendly and a guy I would like to meet. Have subscribed to your channel :).

Didn't seem like a lot of mites on the drop board to me but of course we don't know how many in the hive to start with. First thing that struck me when I watched the video was temperature and conversion to formic. The gauge is probably slow and it's pretty likely a decent portion of that oxalic is being turned to formic. Time will tell if you are getting great results but if you discover you are not, temperature will be the thing to look at.
Funny story, elderly electrician used to live a few doors down from us, long beard and tatty clothes but he was a successful electrician and owned a very upmarket home. But each Sunday afternoon if the weather was good he would go down to the park that adjoined our houses and sit there a couple of hours enjoying the sun and watching the kids play sports and stuff. He would take a 6 pack of beer and slowly drink it, returning home once the beer was finished.

But my (then) wife and I thought it was hysterical, we could see him out our window and he really did look like a complete down and out, I don't know if he ever realised. Women with children would give him a wide berth 😄.

Features and highlights
1. No investing in extension cords, deep cycle battery's ,inverters or generators.
2. Once you buy this, All that's left for you to buy is a can of butane and some oxalic acid.
3. Torch support
4. Zero weight bearing on head of torch
5. Reliable ignition with open burner head
6. Burner retention ring (holds torch secure and precisely directs the flame)
7. Detachable capsule and torch support(For other future methods of treatment and different torches)
8. Vaporizing capsule
9. In line temperature port (In the vapor stream)
10. Stainless steel vapor outlet (nothing bending this insertion tube)
11. Large capacity dosage cap (8 grams O.A.)
12. Rumble cap relief port
13. Quality butane torch
14. Propane attachment soon
15. All materials purchased in the U.S.
16. Device designed and made in the U.S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure about the legal side of patents but you are correct about multiple butane vaporizers already being on the open market. The UK's version of the Gas-Vap is the most popular version I've seen people on YouTube purchase & review but there is also a Easy-Vap Vaporizer made & sold by Weller Bee Supply in Mansfield, OH. The OP's vaporizer is made slightly different but I'm not sure if those details would be enough to obtain a patent or not.

View attachment 65737
It's good to see fellow keepers who are trying to revisit and/or refine various OAV tools. However, something like this at
is a fairly good design. They seem to take care of the cap issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's good to see fellow keepers who are trying to revisit and/or refine various OAV tools. However, something like this at

I really like really this design and not having to mess with caps is a bonus. His temperature gauge was reading 200 Celsius or 392 Fahrenheit which is right on the money with other vaporizers on the market. If a person had 5-10 hives all these would be nice choices.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I really like really this design and not having to mess with caps is a bonus. His temperature gauge was reading 200 Celsius or 392 Fahrenheit which is right on the money with other vaporizers on the market. If a person had 5-10 hives all these would be nice choices.
If the band heater type could be equipped with a metering feed plunger instead of the caps that would be my ideal. The butane heating does make you independant of power sources though.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

I like his design. But why is anyone concerned about temperature of the device. Every substance follows it's pressure temperature relationship. And the OCV is the only device presently taking advantage of that. All the other vaporizers are emmitting hot liquid into the hive. If 1 drop of 330 degree acid hits a queen, shes done. The pressure temperature relationship is pure physics. I went to a year of stationary engineering school for this. There is not a substance in this world that does not follow it's pressure temperature relationship.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The temperature of the device has nothing to do with the temperature of the substance exiting the device. Every vaporizer out there is spraying hot liquid acid at 330 degrees inside the hive. How do I know the acid is coming out of the other devices at 330 degrees? Because that is its vaporization temperature. It is still changing state as it is leaving all the other devices.
The only effect the temperature of the device has on the substance inside the device is how fast the substance vaporizes. Many of the other vaporizers don't even take the temperature of the vapor leaving the device. They are measuring the temperature of the heating pan. And I am not making a grammatical error when I say oxalic acid is vaporizing out of a vaporizer. Only under the right conditions can OA sublimate. But otherwise in every vaporizer out there OA is changing state 2 times. From a powder to a liquid, then a liquid to a vapor. And the reason for that is due to speed of raising the temperature. If you allowed it to sublimate, It would take hours.
The OCV is the I-Phone of vaporizers.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Struttinbuck, what is your take on the PH Ds saying to keep the temperature below 382F? Otherwise, the OA breaks down to CO, CO2, and water. I have heard this a number of times in you tube videos. I think it was the latest NY Wellness video on OA was the latest.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
When you hear the story about OA breaking down to CO, CO2 and water who do you believe, the PHD in entemology or the PHD in chemistry?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Struttinbuck, what is your take on the PH Ds saying to keep the temperature below 382F? Otherwise, the OA breaks down to CO, CO2, and water. I have heard this a number of times in you tube videos. I think it was the latest NY Wellness video on OA was the latest.
Are you asking me to brag? :) I really hate to but. :) I went to stationary engineering school. I know, that sounds like reverse condascending, but I went to a school that taught nothing but latent heat, sensible heat,conduction, convection, radiation, specific heat, pressure, Boyles law, Charles law, General law of perfect gas, Dalton's law, azeotropes , refrigerant blends. The school I went to taught us how to run nuclear power plants. Let alone coal fired, gas fired and heating boilers in general. It was a school that was so specific on all the laws of heat that the electricity and general mechanics were almost a side lesson. It was called West Side Institute Of Technology in Cleveland Ohio. Back in 93. Commercial refrigeration was a spinoff of running powerplants. DDC controls of HVAC and lighting was the latest technology at the time, so I chose to go the Commercial Refrigeration route.
So the issue of any substance changing state has been my life sine 1993. The OCV will be as effective ,safer and easier to operate than any other vaporizer currently on the market. Safer to the user and to the queens.
I could go on. But those are the qualifications I consider relevent to this. It is patent pending and I hope all these treatments go out of business because the bees won't need them anymore. Like truthfully. The people going treatment free are the real pioneers here.
Thank you for asking MGolden., I need this to be discussed further.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
When you hear the story about OA breaking down to CO, CO2 and water who do you believe, the PHD in entemology or the PHD in chemistry?
The substance coming out of that unit has been subcooled and is no longer in a vapor form.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
You claimed that every vaporizer out there is spraying hot liquid into the hive at 330F, I am just showing you it is not so. But then again I never went to the refrigeration school in Ohio
Stationary Engineering School.
But if its not in a vapor form how is it going to travel throughout the hive. The only way for us to get OA as a vapor at a temperature that will not scald our skin would be to run it into a vacuum chamber.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
The heat boils off the molecular water and vaporizes the acid. however anything that drips out of the nozzle is from the water that has condensed in the outlet so there will be no gaseos vapor coming out of the nozzle only a particulate vapor which has cooled so that it will settle on your arm 3" away without burning. but that is with a vaporizer that is set at 450F. The unit is set at 450F as if you go lower you have a greater chance of the nozzle plugging with the condensed water and OA particles.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
The heat boils off the molecular water and vaporizes the acid. however anything that drips out of the nozzle is from the water that has condensed in the outlet so there will be no gaseos vapor coming out of the nozzle only a particulate vapor which has cooled so that it will settle on your arm 3" away without burning. but that is with a vaporizer that is set at 450F. The unit is set at 450F as if you go lower you have a greater chance of the nozzle plugging with the condensed water and OA particles.
If you watch OA vaporize, it goes from a powder, it melts into a liquid, then it is gone. That is the same thing ice does. it changes state 2 times inside a vaporizer. And I specify (Inside of a vaporizer)

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
All I can say about this demonstration is that this acid is no longer in a vaporous state. I cannot see it going throughout the hive.
And I also do not hesitate handling the substance in experimental ways like you showed. LOL. Dude, I thought I had kuhonnes. :)

21 - 40 of 75 Posts