Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice job. BUT, you are taking a chance not wearing a respirator. The breeze could turn and blow that vapor in your face. Goggles are good as well.
I was testing the cap for it's POP OFF prevention deal. And yea. I got a good lung full for sure. I might have to wipe out the beard. But Mrs. Struttinbuck will make me ditch the You Tube chanel if I ditch the beard. :) I'm going to have to figure out something because that stuff gave me a terrible headache through the whole afternoon. Not anything to mishandle.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that is a unit that is compact enough to appeal to me as a small beekeeper.
I hope it's as effective as the electrics. I am doing several mite drop tests now. This is the only thing I have treated my bees with over the last year.
I do spot the queen videos. And you don't see many bee keepers giving closeups of their bees combs very much. Kinda like a privacy issue. But 99% of mine are clean as can be. No DWV, K wing, chewing brood caps. I would almost say all those spot the queen videos are a testament to this vaporizer.
I need to find someone that hasn't treated yet for this fall. That would tell me alot more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I do spot the queen videos.
I like those videos, I use them to up my skills, and I don't know what it is, but the sight of a queen makes me feel good. The level of excitement I feel when spotting one of my own queens walking on the combs is certainly not what I expected when I got into bees.

Keep us posted on how this unit performs in the long game. I don't vaporize now but part of that is because I don't like the whole cumbersome process when I only have 3 to do. I do OA dribble, 3 syringes in a small bucket and that is all I need to take with me. This tiny unit is something similar.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I'm very impressed, thanks for posting. I also watched your vid of the over view/workings of the unit itself, very enlightening. Gives a very good detailed overview of the unit and what you've done. I'm betting you'll do well in sales when you bring it to market.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like those videos, I use them to up my skills, and I don't know what it is, but the sight of a queen makes me feel good. The level of excitement I feel when spotting one of my own queens walking on the combs is certainly not what I expected when I got into bees.

Keep us posted on how this unit performs in the long game. I don't vaporize now but part of that is because I don't like the whole cumbersome process when I only have 3 to do. I do OA dribble, 3 syringes in a small bucket and that is all I need to take with me. This tiny unit is something similar.
Spotting the queen was so hard for me at first. It was very frustrating. Now I can't see how it was ever an issue. And there are so many times it was a huge relief to see them in the hive. Like she literally just saved a hive. :)

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many treatments do you average per charge of butane?
I haven't attempted to efficiently do any hives yet. Right now it takes 10 seconds to refuel and I will get 3 hives complete without any focus on trying to get any number done. If I was to guess, If I would do like an efficient speed round. I would guess 10 or more. Thank You for that question. I need to do that and document it.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm very impressed, thanks for posting. I also watched your vid of the over view/workings of the unit itself, very enlightening. Gives a very good detailed overview of the unit and what you've done. I'm betting you'll do well in sales when you bring it to market.
If it's as effective as the other vaporizers then yes. I hope shes a home run. :)

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice, but looking at it I see similar items for sale in the UK as well as other sources in US. This is great but patent pending….nope. Already been done. IMHO
You have to admit, You ever see a torch directly blow on to a piece of steel in contact with another peice for an extended period of time , then someone grab it with their bare hands? :) Even I am still trying to figure that one out. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice, but looking at it I see similar items for sale in the UK as well as other sources in US. This is great but patent pending….nope. Already been done. IMHO
I'm not sure about the legal side of patents but you are correct about multiple butane vaporizers already being on the open market. The UK's version of the Gas-Vap is the most popular version I've seen people on YouTube purchase & review but there is also a Easy-Vap Vaporizer made & sold by Weller Bee Supply in Mansfield, OH. The OP's vaporizer is made slightly different but I'm not sure if those details would be enough to obtain a patent or not.
Liquid Font Rectangle Material property Wood

Product Material property Liquid Personal care Font

·
Registered
213 Posts
Those things are no good unless temperature is controlled, or it can get too hot and just turn the OA to Formic acid, which wouldn't do anything with just a flash treatment like that. Looks like yours has a thermometer, nice.
That is what Medhat Nasr was talking about in this youtube conference on oxalic acid for varoa control .

At around 34:00 minutes he goes into the need for a temperature control on OAV applicators. Some might look like they are working with all the fumes but without a temp control much of that can be just useless vapour.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really appreciate you guys. But thats the thing about temperature inside a vaporizer. Yall know how alot of the vaporizers are plugging up at the outlet and spitting liquid out the end of it? Well what that is is the acid changing state back into a liquid. But not because of too much heat. But because of not enough. And the thing I want you to notice is....... that it changed back......... Into a liquid.
The whole changing state process is crazy. So I am hoping to come up with a test putting the OCV against an electric vaporizer head to head. And to actually show evidence of the effectivness of them both. I think it has to be along the lines of mite drop boards. First 3 days, use the electric, next 3 use the OCV , electric again 3 days later, then 1 more time for the OCV. Average the mite drop counts and determine things from there.
If anybody has an electric vaporizer anywhere near southern W.V. I could drive a ways.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Well with a name like Struttinbuck I was expecting to see a Native American. Story behid your name Struttinbuck?

But anyhow, loved your accent, and the fact that in this hobby a guy can do a presentation in torn jeans and looking like a homeless person, but be taken seriously. You also seem pretty friendly and a guy I would like to meet. Have subscribed to your channel :).

Didn't seem like a lot of mites on the drop board to me but of course we don't know how many in the hive to start with. First thing that struck me when I watched the video was temperature and conversion to formic. The gauge is probably slow and it's pretty likely a decent portion of that oxalic is being turned to formic. Time will tell if you are getting great results but if you discover you are not, temperature will be the thing to look at.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts