Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks... Since I'm a new beek I love getting probably a little too close to my hives, problem is they LOVE to peg me right in the face. My beeyard is becoming really active with bees flying around and have made it quite clear that they dislike my presence, probably the fact that I have black hair all over my head....

Anyways, anyone have some options for a cheap veil that I can get locally when I just want to watch for a bit without taking a sting or two to the face (owww, my lip)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm very surprised they are that aggressive. Seems odd to be truthful. getting tagged in the face isn't pleasant. I use a military surplus viel. I think they are $5.00 or so and I've had mine for three years.
Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
were did you get a surplus veil? Was it a army navy store or some military surplus store or a web site. Did you get one from a DRMO sale. I'm interested into finding out. I am also starting out an looking for cheap equipment.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Pick up a mosquito net at camping supply store. About $3.

I do up my top shirt button and roll up the collar and pull the net over my head and elastic is tight to collar. This is what I generally wear and only go full suit for removing honey

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couple of things I should probably clarify

1. I have a Jacket/Veil but it takes a minute to get into and out of, plus the temps are getting a bit high and isnt quite suitable for going out to my beeyard just to watch the girls
2. I'm standing/looking about a foot from their hive
3. One hive is queenless because of the split (and is STILL larger than the top bar probably because the shaken bees that stay are/were nurse bees) so they are a bit.... ticked right now.
4. I'm letting them rob out a frame that had capped honey

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Turkey hunting facemask, there are tons of options, but they make pull over full coverage. Any sporting goods store. G

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

1. I have a Jacket/Veil but it takes a minute to get into and out of, plus the temps are getting a bit high and isnt quite suitable for going out to my beeyard just to watch the girls
3. One hive is queenless because of the split (and is STILL larger than the top bar probably because the shaken bees that stay are/were nurse bees) so they are a bit.... ticked right now.
Well, duh. What do you expect? Cheap veil? Buy one of those Tule' veils. Or, just take the hood off of your jacket. It won't keep all of them off of your face, but most. You could stand further away too.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
were did you get a surplus veil? Was it a army navy store or some military surplus store or a web site. Did you get one from a DRMO sale. I'm interested into finding out. I am also starting out an looking for cheap equipment.
I bought mine at a local military surplus store. Many available online if none are local but this may make them a poor value with added shipping.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I like the sew-it-yourself idea. The hardware store sells some very tough, black plastic coated screen off the roll by the foot. I bought some and am sewing it to a hat with a VERY WIDE BRIM, (no, not a Mexican sombrero, but those Korean hats would sure do the trick!) and making a tube of nylon tape to hem the bottom, where I intend to attach a cloth and zipper that matches my current English-type hooded bee jacket.

Why all the effort? There are always 1 or 2 bees that land on my hood right next to my ear and just sit there and buzz loud all day. If they were only 3 inches further away, I'm sure I wouldn't be nearly so tired after working the hives at the end of the day.

Plus, I like the 360 degree view, and my old hood is getting kind of...well, er, time to be retired.

I'll probably sew up some really long gloves while I'm at it.

One thing I've learned - when bees get REALLY upset and start coming at me as hard as they can, the smoker doesn't help much. That's time for a spray bottle of water. 30 seconds later, attack plan is over and I'm back to work. Try not to use this option late in the day, once it starts getting cold, as you can lose a lot of bees doing this. But it sure works when they get super hot in the middle of the day or in the morning. And that veil is your best friend!

·
Registered
32 Posts

You should consider looking for a cheap pair of spectacles so you can stand a little farther away

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I should add that I do run one almost full-strength AHB colony for the genetics (they are in triple queen excluder cages and I work them under a net so that the drones and any virgin queens can't get out) and so CHEAP veils are NOT my priority - I want a good, comfortable, and BEE-TIGHT veil jacket. I think savings on money is best accomplished on other things, not your veil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts