Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm hard at work building equipment that will need painting. I was at Wal Mart and saw a 5 gallon bucket of exterior flat latex for $68. They also had a fence and barn white for $14 a gallon. Has anyone used either of these and are they worth buying for bee boxes. I really want to find a one coat solution that will cover well, and protect for a few years.
Or if you know of any other deals please let us know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I look for "oops" paint (paint mixed & someone changed their mind). I have found good quality paint at cheap prices..........if you don't care what color it is. Lowes, Home Depot, Manards and other paint stores usually have various amount of oops or 'returned' paint that one might bargain for.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you want some cheap paint that is VERY tough and long lasting paint that WILL stick to the wood like you would not believe and is self priming with the only draw back being that it is an oil based paint that is tougher to clean up, try this.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Ut...MIt7Cymuad3wIVA47ICh2E7wwoEAQYASABEgJRDvD_BwE

You put the first coat on and let it set over night, then apply the second coat while the first coat is still tacky. When this paint dries and cures up, it is harder than Chinese arithmetic! It lasts a LONG time. It designed to be walked on so it is more than tough enough for bee hives. The light gray gloss finish helps to keep the hive box fairly cool.

I am so tired of latex and other paints that peel or start cracking after a few years. I have had the above paint on my apiary equipment storage building 3 years and it still looks like the day I painted it. It needs a few days to air out the fumes but once cured, it does not emit any odor.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I use the cheap oopps paint at $5 a gallon from my local hardware store but I try to use exterior if I can. However I always do a coat of Kilz latex undercoat before the other latex, Kilz runs at about $14 a gallon but goes a long way but I must admit some of my boxes after 5 to 8 years could do with another coat.
Johno

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am so tired of latex and other paints that peel or start cracking after a few years. I have had the above paint on my apiary equipment storage building 3 years and it still looks like the day I painted it. It needs a few days to air out the fumes but once cured, it does not emit any odor.
I also don't use anything but oil-based paint anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts