Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the answer, but is this actually beeswax? Or is it likely some cheaper type of wax?

The ads say they are pure beeswax foundation, and they sometimes they claim to be from Australian beekeepers (I am in Australia), but the price is less than half the price per kg of beeswax blocks. I also doubt the purity of more expensive wax, what is to stop them buying the cheap stuff and onselling it at a higher price?

Is there any way I can tell if it is beeswax, or paraffin wax, or a mix.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
In addition to potentially adulterated wax, I would be concerned that the "pure beeswax" was contaminated with pesticide residue. Just thinking out loud here, but there has to be a reason it is priced as cheaply as you say.

·
Registered
133 Posts
To my knowledge, Premier Foundation is the only foundation sold that is 100 from the U.S.. It all comes from A.H. Meyers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Agree 100% with what JWPalmer said. Even in the States, I believe Premier Foundation is the only one that uses all U.S wax. Think they get all their wax from A.H.Meyers

·
Registered
5,046 Posts

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
216 Posts
and they sometimes they claim to be from Australian beekeepers (I am in Australia),
I really would NOT trust buying foundation from eBay. Also beware sellers claiming they are from Australia, but then they are actually Chinese. Foundation is prone to breakage in the post too.

I bought two beekeeping items from ebay, what could go wrong?:

500g Stainless steel wire. It turned out it was 490g, INCLUDING a hefty 200g plastic roll, so it wasn't as cheap as I thought because I got only just over half of what I thought I bought. It also breaks easily and I wonder what grade of SS it is.

And a pack of 1000 eyelets. I only had enough for 80 frames, so it was 640 not 1000.

I'd buy foundation from someone I trust. Here in WA I make sure it is wax from west Oz.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a feeling they may not be real beeswax. I was hoping to get some, melt it down, and use it to make candles with the kids. After watching GregV's youtube videos I think that may be a bad idea.

I guess the only sensible way forward is to get more hives, that way I know the wax is pure...

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
If you cull your frames to eliminate excessive drone comb and other less than desirable characteristics, you will have plenty of wax by your third or fourth year. Last year I bought about 15# of pure wax for candles. This year I harvested about 10# from my own hives. I need to get pouring! I am saving my cappings wax for lip balms and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts