Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New beekeeper and first post here.

I bought a complete hive from a local supplier that I'm not happy with at all. The two deep boddies are ok (though not finished because I got started and set up with no time for painting) but the solid bottom board I have is really poorly built, and the last time I peeked into the hive I noted some black mildew/mold forming in the corner.

My question is; is there a problem replacing the bottom board (or even a hive body or any none-frame component) of a newly established hive?

I installed the package on the 24th of April and they appear to be doing very well so far. Eggs, larva, capped brood (nothing emerging just yet) queen is busy and all but 3 frames are drawn out with comb.

I worry about the gaps and shoddy workmanship of my current setup keeping the bees safe this winter. I have hive bodies, supers, and bottom boards built by myself and ready to change out but I'm wondering if the bees will reject it or react in an otherwise undesirable fashion.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
There's no problem doing that. I did a bunch today myself. The bees won't reject what you want to put them in.

The stuff in the corner of the bottom board probably has nothing to do w/ how it was built. It's your hive, but I wonder if you aren't being a bit picky about how something looks, as long as the boxes hold the frames properly, what's the problem? Or don't they?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah! That's GREAT! Thank you for the prompt reply and encouraging words.

You're right to question my being picky, however, this bottom board is really bad. Large gaps, exposed dados with the staples driven through free air,out of square and the back rail is pulling away. I tried to fill gaps with beeswax but it was a failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts