Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I basically inherited a hive that has a deep and a medium brood box, queen excluder and one honey super above that. I inspected it for the first time today and the deep brood box is a bit of a mess with cross combs, bees not using the foundation and just old foundationless combs from when the original rescue happened. I am wondering about the best way to change those combs.
From what I understand the bees might reject frames in their brood box that don't have drawn out comb on them and since this is my first hive I don't have any tucked away anywhere.

Thanks for the help,

Bianca

·
Registered
145 Posts
you could put another deep/medium brood box on top of the other brood boxes. Let the bee move up into the new box. Then remove the deep and fixed later without the bees.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
When you have a flow on and the bees actively raising multiple frames of brood, put new frames of foundation one at a time between two frames of brood. If the bees are expanding, they will rapidly draw out the foundation and the queen will lay in it. The surest way I know of to get good brood comb.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to Bee Source, BiancaP!

It is hard to do an inspection with so many crossed comb.
I would reverse the deep box with the medium box. Then put
a queen excluder between them. In the Spring time reverse the 2 boxes again.
They should be using the honey in the deep box to make more broods by then.
Take the empty deep out to see which comb you can reuse. Some might have the
pollen from the Spring harvest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts