Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a small beekeeper with three hives this year. One of the three overwintered, the other two were purchased and installed a few weeks ago. They are all doing great with laying queens.

Because the hive that overwintered was so small I started off this year with them in a honey super. (They fill 4-ish frames in the honey super.) I realize this isn't the best for a number of reasons, but I made a judgement call. I have had problems in the past with beetles, and I thought they would have the best chance of staying on top of any invaders if they had a smaller manageable space.

Anyway, there is a laying queen and they seem pretty active. I think they will make it despite their small size. My question is, when the time comes how do I transition the queen into laying in a deep super instead of a honey super? I figure it will take a bit of swapping, and perhaps using a queen excluder for a time. I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just place your deep on top of the honey super. Once the brood nest moves up up into the larger space, just reverse the boxes. If you're sure the queen is in the deep you can put a queen excluder in between the two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts