Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First warm day in the Chicago suburbs. 58 deg.

While I wouldn't say they have officially survived the Chicago winter since they are not bringing back pollen yet, I would say that my chances look pretty good! Hive weighs 90 lbs. too!!! Check this video out of my hive today. There were so many bees (video doesn't do it justice) that you can hear me blowing them out of my mouth when they landed on my face and crawled to my mouth.

Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0qpkTN7Q0

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am very much a novice, but I would have to say I would be heartened by an image like that. I'm eastern Iowa, weather probably about the same. I have certainly had bees out flying but not at all in numbers like that. I have probably 2-300 dead bees below the hive, probably see 100 or so crawling on the inside cover when I take a peek. What have your numbers of dead been like?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard for me to guess the number of dead bees outside the hive, but there definitely have been a number of them. If I had to guess, I would say that during the winter, there were about a cup of bees spread around at any given time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.