Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What say ye? Chalkbrood something else?. This hive is by itself on an new stand after splitting this year. The stand has about two more hours of shade in the morning that the other ones. No sign of anything in the other colonies. IMG_0040.jpg

·
Vendor
53,948 Posts
It's hard to say from that picture. You will find more clues on the bottom board or at the entrance. Little hard chalk like mummies. In the cells the mummies usually fill the cell. In your picture they do not seem to. It looks more like sac brood from that picture. Here are mummies on the bottom board:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Chalkbrood.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am seeing something like this on my entrance to one hive. Mine look like 3 or 4 bees all white in their pupae stage. From you pics Michael mine dont look like chalkbrood but more like what surly posted just dragged outta their cells. Whats your thought?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Chalkbrood? pics included update

Update
I just checked and they have cleaned up the frames that had the bad brood and have new eggs and larvae that aren't shriveled. I saw only 3 or 4 cells with shriveled larvae. I didn't find any mummies on the bottom board or out front and there was no sign of the ones they hauled out. My bee yard is limestoney so its hard to tell if there were any on the ground.

All I did was place a shim under the top cover for ventilation and cut down two trees on the east side that gave this hive longer shade in the morning than the others (this one is alone on a stand across the yard easterly from the others). I was planning on cutting them down for expansion anyway when it cooled off, oh well.

So, thanks . I guess ill check them again in a week or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts