Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A nuc, really a split with caged California Carniolan queen, I purchased and hived April 1st has a problem. I think it may be chalk brood. Few of the original capped cells have emerged, now some seven weeks later. This hive came with a loose virgin, a DOA caged queen, balled the first replacement queen, and is now on its fourth queen. The workers are overwhelmed in just uncapping and clearing very dead dry little larvae. One gift frame of brood has kept the hive alive. The newest queen is barely laying, a result of the lack of open comb and bees to cover it (?). I understand requeening is the common fix for this, but as I requeened most recently two weeks ago and no progress has been made, I'm looking for other options. Keep feeding this hive frames of capped brood? Replace the infected frames with drawn comb? Do I trash the comb or let a stronger hive clean it up. The current hive is stalled in growth, and our main flow is 2-3 weeks away. Just keeping it alive for build up over summer is the main goal now. Or bite the bullet, shake it out and cut my losses? They were fed syrup to help get them established, and although top vented, the heavy split and moisture was obviously a factor.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I would give it a couple of frames of emerging brood right away. The queen can lay in the cells as they empty and the workers will get to work. One frame isn't enough. Put in at least 2 frames so they can get a jump start on it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I've never trashed comb because of chalkbrood. It clears up on it's own. It seems to be mostly caused by chilled brood, but high humidity contributes as well. A weak split with cold weather can cause it for sure...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The splits were from returned almond hives made up in March (nice "nucs", but I'm guessing stressed bees). Think I'll swap the frames into the much stronger hive next to it. Just don't want to cross contaminate the better hive, but doesn't seem to be much of an issue. The three original brood frames seem to be the problem, and they're newer looking combs. I'm new enough drawn comb is still valued highly if healthy enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts