Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all central NYers.

I wanted to ask if anyone has confirmed a flow yet. I think my bees were pulling in pretty well for part of the maple flow, but still haven't seen them pick up with dandelion yet. They are hauling pollen like crazy, but not sure that any real flow has been on. Anybody in NY area have different data to report?

a couple action shots, anybody know what the white flowers are? Decent picture as it appears she is going for nectar on that that flower (you can see her tongue out).

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
probably dog wood trees, that's what should be opening now. I had to remove my yard feeders, your girls like my expensive sugar to much:no:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in Chenango County and I have a flow of dandelions, daffodils, poplar, and several other spring flowers. My bees are bringing in lots of pollen and nectar.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got it wildbranch - they appreciate the pure cane variety you use :D

I noticed last night that my pear trees blossoms are about to burst open (should open today). First apple blossom at my house will be today or the next two days as well. As for the dandelions and others, I am only seeing pollen being worked, and mostly from bumblebees. There must be other stuff out there they like better right now. I am seeing orange and yellow pollen mostly; some white but very little of that. Seems like pollen is in high supply, with some trickling nectar flows, but not big boomers where I am yet.

I will have to look for dogwood trees around here.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Saturday all Asian Pears were in full bloom. Bartlett a few open, but by now should be pretty good. Peaches only a few open. Apples very very few to red bud stage. Dandelions were out, though I didnt think they were. Wild Cherries wide open. Most girls coming back with no pollen. I am guessing nectar. The little Pollen coming in is orangish, same as last year. Hives chock full of honey. Brood nests in the process of backfilling. I dont know if its the sugar I left a month ago or a heavy flow of something. I think willow is going. Wonder if this is being worked.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nature Grass Flower Plant Leaf Good to hear Dan. I am in an odd microclimate where I live, so I anticipate some improvement soon if that is what you are seeing in auburn. Generally a bit behind (usually a week or so). Willow and pussy willow here are still buds and have not flowered, same with my cherry trees. Actually was very surprised to see a couple open apple blooms compared to everything else in my yard.

Wood Tree Grass Roof Plywood

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
You might/should remove the entrance reducers on your hives during the last couple of 80 degree days. Mine were fanning and I don;t have any restrictions on the entrances. assuming you hives are pretty full of bees.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might/should remove the entrance reducers on your hives during the last couple of 80 degree days. Mine were fanning and I don;t have any restrictions on the entrances. assuming you hives are pretty full of bees.
I actually made some screened inner covers and put them on the hives (along with SBB's for each). I had so many issues with robbing last year I am planning on keeping my entrances reduced all year. Might change that. But should have plenty of ventilation between the screened inner covers and the SBB.

that tiny entrance is one of my split medium nucs. That one is also on a SBB and a screened inner cover.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Tree Plant Woody plant Canoe birch Flower

Asian pear

bartlett
Tree Branch Plant Woody plant Twig

Hope to have a bountiful harvest of fruit and honey. I posted a few days ago and got no reply about how much sugar creates how much honey. Anyone care to answer? I put 2-3 lbs of sugar in my hives a month ago, opened up last weekend and see brood nest backfilling. Can this amount of sugar sustain active hives for a month, and fill something like 2-3 frames and corners of many others? I wouldnt think so.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Pears, apples, cherries, dandelions, and all sorts of things unseen. Don't get in a rush. The flow will come. Be prepared for it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice trees Dan, I have a bunch I am waiting on too, some mature, some that should be giving me some fruit this year for the first time. Recently finished pruning.

Pears, apples, cherries, dandelions, and all sorts of things unseen. Don't get in a rush. The flow will come. Be prepared for it.
Best part about having bees in your back yard - you can check them everyday all day

Worst part about having bees in your back yard - you can check them everyday all day

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts