Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the course of working the hives, do folks add their empty supers in the center (between brood boxes and honey supers) or on top the entire hive?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You will be getting different suggestions ob your questions..
If you have a single brood chamber it obvious where to place the super.
I supered some doubles by center supering with a medium depth super full of Pierco plastic frames because I wanted the super of foundation to be where it's warm and above the filled inside feeder.
Others will chime in with their information,
Ernie

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Sometimes, it depends on where you have your entrance. I usually center super but I had one hive last year that used the top entrance more than the bottom. I top supered that one.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When using a excluder or using a super full of honey as a excluder above the brood nest some will under super the supers already being filled/finished early in the season(with good flow time left). Some will under super without a excluder or full super for excluder early in the season. Some will do nothing but top super. When the flow or season is about over it is best to top super especially when not using a excluder to keep brood out of the honey supers. The bees will fill the bottom supers first at the end of a flow and if needed they will use the empty super on top. With all that said it comes down to your flow intensity/duration, your overall management practices, and what way you find best for your operation through experimentation.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
If you live in an area where shb thrive I would recommend highly AGAINST 'bottom' supering.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. This forum is a wealth of help and information. Keep up the good job of helping those of us who know there is always more to learn.

Steve

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Depends on the conditions of the colony and the flow. If the broodnest isn't plugged out, and there's room in the broodnest for the queen to lay and the supers aren't so full that the bees are building burr comb between the supers, then top supering works well. If, on the other hand if you are late in your re-supering and the supers are full and the bees are building burr, and/or the broodnest is plugged out, then bottom supering takes the pressure off. If the flow will continue for some time, I usually add two supers to the stack when I'm behind...one under and one over.

Foundation is always added under.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again everyone, thanks.

Michael - Is the foundation always added under to stay closer to those 10-15 day old wax producing bees? As a side note - thank you SO MUCH for your unselfish sharing of tons of information. I'm sure I speak for a lot of us hobbyists who you've kept from screwing up so badly with out bees.:doh:

Beemandan - curious, why is that disastrous in GA? Please, forgive my ignorance.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts