Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

When i recently split one of my hives i noticed a few spots on frames where the bees had eaten away some of the old wax and build clusters of cells that were somewhat downward pointing. My initial thought was queen, but they didn't seem that large and were clustered in groups of 10-20. It almost looked like it would look if you were to light a candle and let it drip on the same suspended point... hard to explain, should have taken pics.... narrow at the top flaring out towards the lower end with bulbs along and around it, all capped. If anyone has pictures of something similar can you post em and tell em what they are?

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do they actually put that many all in one clump?

I'll try to get pics tomorrow if the weather is good

suprisingly all 4 of th ehives seem to have workers coming and going, i kinda expected 2 to have that with the other 2 with not much activity until they were queen right

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hard to say without a picture but I have seen some pretty strange looking clusters of drone cells from a laying worker that might be described that way...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sounds like unfertilized eggs layed in worker cells and being drawn out for drones. I beleive these cells very seldom mature into fertile drones. I believe they turn into immature, sterile drones. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Look at the thread "Now What" and look at his pictures. I think you will see some of the same type cells.

here is the link to the picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ntulloh181/20100517#5472287161079502594

1 - 8 of 8 Posts