Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some PF-125s that were used to regress my bee two months ago. The frames have been rotated out of the brood box and now full of honey. I plan on extracting some honey in a couple of weeks. Would it be acceptable to use a couple of these extracted frames for a cell starter? One would be for the pollen frame and the other for a Queen Confinement frame in the parent hive.

If the bees clean the honey off the drawn comb will the queen lay eggs in it again?

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You shouldn't have too much problem at all using those frames in a cell starter. Basically you just need something with stores in it, and a frame to put into a parent hive to collect the larva from to graft. Once the frames have been extracted from the bees will naturally clean those frames up and remove the rest of the honey for their use. Make sure to put the frame in a little ahead of time to allow them to clean it up right.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
>Would it be acceptable to use a couple of these extracted frames for a cell starter?

Sure.

>One would be for the pollen frame

How will you get them to store pollen in it?

>If the bees clean the honey off the drawn comb will the queen lay eggs in it again?

Yes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>How will you get them to store pollen in it?

I have been collecting pollen with my new Sundance top mount trap.
Planning on lightly hand rubbing the pollen into one side of the comb.
I saw this on a video by Michael Palmer.

Is there another way?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
>I have been collecting pollen with my new Sundance top mount trap.
Planning on lightly hand rubbing the pollen into one side of the comb.
I saw this on a video by Michael Palmer.
>Is there another way?

That will work. I was just wondering how you were going to get them to do that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts