Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
If they can simply change the cell phone and tower frequency I say do it, but I have my doubts about this being the culprit. If I understand CCD the hive suddenly and without warning disappears leaving brood and honey behind. If the cell phones are causing the bees to get lost the hive would see a gradual reduction in numbers and not the sudden mass exodus.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't agree more. Was talking to my wife about it the other day and said, "Honeybees are near or on the ground when they forage for pollen/nectar". Since a cell phone with whatever radiation, if they do indeed give off anything more than a radio signal to a tower, should interfere with any type of bees communication or vibes, wouldn't they all be dead now ? I've heard that they tested one hive with a cell phone put right on top of the lid and left it on. How idiotic is that ? Just to prove a theory and collapse a hive, none the less. What's next, lead insulated hives ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
For better or worse i've been building cell sites for 10 years and have a degree in ecological and resource management (i know i know...).

Here are the dangers of cell phones/antennas from worst to best:

1) Standing right in front of a panel antenna (less than 5'). duh. bad. if you're on a rooftop keep moving around and keep exposure under 5 minutes. if you're above or below or below the antenna you don't have much to worry about as the signal tend to propogate out the front on the horizontal plane. once you're more than 10' the exposure is minimal thanks to the inverse square law of physics ( 4 pie r squared).
2) Anyone under 18 talking on a phone (phone to head) not using speaker or hands free for ANY period of time (yes even 5 minutes). RF emissions are BAD for developing bodies. period. don't do it!.
3) Anyone over 18 talking on a phone (phone to head) not using speaker or hands free. The closer the antenna is to your head the more the exposure. talk on the phone for more than an hour at a stretch for more than 10 years and chances are you'll get a tumor- probably benign but still..
4) Talking with speaker phone on. exposure is minimal thanks to the inverse square law.
5) Cell phone towers or antennas on rooftops (assuming you're on the ground): exposure is less than that of your TV.
6) Cell phone inside the hive.... that Indian study. duh... of course the queen is going to get freaked out by emissions!

Bottom line is that cell phone emissions, whether from towers or the handsets themselves, do no harm to bees. Humans yes, bees, no...
IMHO CCD is caused by bees visiting blooming plants treated with insecticides/pesticides/fertilizers.

thanks,

EH

·
Registered
63 Posts
It’s distracted flying that’s killing the bees. Their texting, and flying at the same time crashing into other bees. We need to ban cell phone use while flying.

jd

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Enuf already. this is the Fourth Thread on this very topic in the last two weeks. It's nonsense and unfounded.

Tell me, if you are so worried about cell phones killing bees, why do you use one totalk to anyone on? If it will kill bees, and it doesn't, don't you think it will kill brain cells?

Oh, it just occured to me. It has, apparently.

Besides, wouldn't it be easier to kill bees w/ your open hand rather than smacking them w/ your cell phone?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
had mine on vibrate the other day sitting besisde a super with bees. When it started vibrating(ringing) they went crazy. It was funny. They were all over it trying to figure it out and when i opened it, i got stung...LOL. Funny thing about cellphones and cell sites is this. Wattage on the RF is based on usage, with generally them maxing at 16 watts, which will cover about 4 miles. The power based brain of a cellsite only adds power based on the available channel elements within the site and it compares that to who is drawing the most power. The further out you are, the more power you require. It makes a decision to throw you off to allow more people with less power required....hmm, dev knows something about RF too....LOL. I helped build and calibrate almost every Sprint cellsite in NC, Sc and Eastern Ga. Interstingly every study about RF causing a spark at a gas station has been debunked. as well. There is more emission from a power line than a cell phone site guys....i wouldn't stand in front of it for sure, but even still, the rf emmited from a phone and a tower won't cause enough to mess with bees.....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My phone is ringing. Excuse me while I attend to some radiation therapy....

Likely the case, people won't drop their cells to save anyone's life these days. Electronic drug addictions. I don't blame those bees for attacking a cell phone. Vibrate must mean some kind of queen feeding or protection.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Likely the case, people won't drop their cells to save anyone's life these days. Electronic drug addictions. I don't blame those bees for attacking a cell phone. Vibrate must mean some kind of queen feeding or protection.

Depends on where you go. Best way is to NOT give out your cell number! Only my wife has mine. Also remember that some of us actually do drop their phones, if we use them, to help anyone.......lol. Must be a southern thing...>LOLOL. I hate mine, but as a stay at home dad alsways on the go, its a must sometimes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts