Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set up a two nuc hive with lots of nurse bees about 10 days ago that had lots of capped brood. Those have mostly emerged and moved a half sized frame into the hive this evening with freshly hatched larva. These started hatching yesterday and this afternoon I culled all the larger brood (140+ of them). Then did cell notches on several of them. Was planning to do grafting, but just feel comfortable with doing it. Need lots of practice.

Then moved a frame with capped brood to eggs on it into a queenless hive. Notched several of these as well.

Now I must keep from messing with them for a few days and I will see if we have success.

How long before I can check on them?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You could easily check tomorrow to see if they are starting cells, just don't shake the bees off the frame, brush em off. Or you could wait until Sunday and you will see which ones have been drawn out!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Marsh- ck them in 7 days.
Why 7 days and not sooner? If lets say something happened and no queen cells were made and he checks in 7 days, that means he would have to attempt to make another try with eggs which means basically another 8-9 days lost. If he checks say tomorrow or the next day, he could see how things are going and plan accordingly. I know I check no later than 48 hours to see how things are going and have not had any problems with them abandoning grafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts