Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used pine as that was what was available. But now they offer cedar (couple of dollars more) and pine in their migratory tops. Main concern is minimal warping or splitting- tough climate and I'll paint them but we are hot and dry. Does anyone have any preferences or know which one holds up better?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the different wood for the different pieces? If I can't mix and match which would you prefer for the whole top?

·
Registered
575 Posts
You may also want to try Cyprus. It grows in swamps and the stuff is beutiful. One provider advertises that paint isn't necessary.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Both cedar and pine are good.

Cedar is lighter weight, more rot resistant, less cross-grain stiffness, softer and more easily dented and dinged, very little swelling and shrinking on exposure to moisture variation and more easily split along the grain.

Pine is cheaper, easier to cut and nail, slightly heavier, a little tougher, more effected by moisture on cross-grain dimensions and will hold finishes (such as stains & paints) a little better.

The wood quality relative to the tree and the way that it was sawed matters more. How knot /defect free? How close to quarter sawn?

·
Registered
359 Posts
What about redwood? It's a popular wood to build decks out of. It is rot and water resistant. Is it too cost prohibitive?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Redwood flats...there is a coffin material made out of glued & jointed high q redwood that is 16&1/4" wide. Probably have to buy it by the unit, and it's very expensive. But those are the best flats you can get. Just put the cleats on in whatever configuration you like they will last longer than you will live.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
My experience is the same as BoBn's. The cedar splits easier but on a top will last a bit longer. The cover does take a bit more weather than the boxes. But the pine splits less and lasts ok for a top. Bottom boards seem to take a lot of wear and cedar would be more worth it there, IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts