Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a cedar observation hive, but it increasingly seems to me I'm building a little greenhouse that's just going to heat up.

I could paint the hive white, but am hoping to avoid painting.

Is a top entrance in addition to the bottom sufficient to prevent this being an easy-bake oven for bees?

Also, are the bees bothered by the constant light that would be coming into an observation hive?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
are you aware that these hives are designed to be indoors?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you aware that these hives are designed to be indoors?
Nope... I wasn't aware. Sounds like this is a pretty key point.

I do have "winter covers" designed-in, intended to be used in the winter, but it sounds like these would be better left on most of the time until I want to take a peek.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
pretty tricky to get one to overwinter due to the small vollume. easyest is to combine with another hive in the fall and put a frame of brood back in the spring. good luck,mike

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi Mike,

This isn't a nuc-sized Ulster hive... This is a full sized Lang. The supers have windows incorporated into them.

Now that I think about it, if I keep the sun-side windows blocked, it should be sufficient. I should be able to leav leave the North, and perhaps West, windows open to the light during the day without heat-risk.

I also find myself wondering if this will be a benefit in the winter to leave all of the windows uncovered, instead of covering them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't think the bees would like all the light coming in. You will probably want the windows covered all the time except when you are looking in.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
looking at one side of a lang size super will be of little benefit. good luck,mike

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think the bees would like all the light coming in. You will probably want the windows covered all the time except when you are looking in.
Your point is appreciated, and I will keep this in mind.

BTW, Ardilla is my nickname for my daughter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts