Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a cedar observation hive, but it increasingly seems to me I'm building a little greenhouse that's just going to heat up.

I could paint the hive white, but am hoping to avoid painting.

Is a top entrance in addition to the bottom sufficient to prevent this being an easy-bake oven for bees?

Also, are the bees bothered by the constant light that would be coming into an observation hive?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
pretty tricky to get one to overwinter due to the small vollume. easyest is to combine with another hive in the fall and put a frame of brood back in the spring. good luck,mike

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi Mike,

This isn't a nuc-sized Ulster hive... This is a full sized Lang. The supers have windows incorporated into them.

Now that I think about it, if I keep the sun-side windows blocked, it should be sufficient. I should be able to leav leave the North, and perhaps West, windows open to the light during the day without heat-risk.

I also find myself wondering if this will be a benefit in the winter to leave all of the windows uncovered, instead of covering them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.