Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may have been asked before, sorry if it has. I have alot of cedar boards,alot 4inch thick by 20 feet long. Can the Red Cedar be used for hive bodies and super? I am thinking about its use in closets and such to repell moths and other insects.Would it affect bees the same way?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Rob

I have built several bottom boards from cedar fence pickets,they work just fine. I have also constructed hive bodies from cedar . Again no problems whatsoever. They are a
bit heavier than pine, .

Terry

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are different types of cedar wood,spainish cedar which has a musty odor,aromatic cedar (which is used in cedar chest) has a pungent odor,western red cedar has the lightest smell.
The only one that may have an affect on the bees would be the aromatic cedar as it does not lose it's odor with age as the others do,that's why we use them for cedar chest.
I would be interested in know what affect it would have on the wax moths though.
I have hives made out of mahogany,cypress,pine,and spainish cedar.Some day want to build an observation hive.
New to beekeeping but years with wood.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Cedar does not bother bees. Aromatic or eastern red cedar is a locally produced tree. Only reason not to use it is its price. When you find a hollow cedar(very rare) they commonly have honey bees in them. Hives made of red cedar are a bit heavier as the wood is much denser than white pine. But they last for years without painting. If I could afford to buy cedar or cypress I would.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts