Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I emailed Cedar Glenn Bees a few days ago inquiring about ordering some Carniolans from him. I know some of you don't like them, but I wanted to give them a try myself.

Here is the email response from Michael, who asked me to share this with my beekeeping friends:

We had to quit shipping bees. We only sell local pick up now. Attached is the reason why. Please notify your beekeeper friends of what happened to us. We need support.
Sincerely
Michael
The following is the attachment explaining why they will no longer be shipping bees:

AS many of you are aware, last may many of you received a shipment of dead honey bees from us that was delivered to you via U.P.S. overnight. First we want to thank you for your patience in this as we have been trying to find out what happened. When we received word that the entire shipment of honey bees that we shipped that day through the Seattle office arrived at their destination dead, we were dumfounded. We contacted U.P.S. our U.P.S. representative told us U.P.S. must have done something wrong to have killed all those bees. We turned in our claims. We received a letter from the U.P.S. packaging consultant company. They stated the bees died because we did not wrap them in two inches of bubble wrap. Now go figure that one out. Then when questioned they said they do not insure living things that could perish from heat or cold. I asked then why they had charged me insurance on all the live bee packages I shipped over the last three years. No comment.

After much thought we had U.P.S. return several of the packages to our apiary. We contacted Prof Steve Sheppard of Washington State University in Pullman, Washington and told him what happened. We asked him if there was anybody that could perform any type of test to determine what killed the bees, Steve sent us to Jeff and Robin of the Washington State Department of Agriculture
Jeff came to our apiary and took samples of the dead bees from the boxes and also took swab samples from the boxes they were shipped in.

Four weeks later Jeff contacted us. The bees and the boxes tested positive for three different types of insecticides. The thing about this that always puzzled us was that on the same day we shipped about twenty packages of bees from the same lot that went through the Redmond office. They were all delivered in good shape with no problems.. Every package that went to the Seattle office that day arrived dead at the customers address the next day. These bees came from the same lot and were in the same condition as the others, and they were shipped and packaged the same way.

Please email us of any damages you suffered from this ordeal. We are going to court! We lost thousands of dollars in dead bees and shipping costs not to mention the ruined company reputation and customer dissatisfaction. They destroyed the integrity of our company.. It took a very sick individual in their employ to do this to those defenseless honey bees, millions were killed at a time when the very survival of the species is in question

Sincerely Michael & Donna Cook
I don't know how many of you are aware of this issue, but I wish them luck on their lawsuit (I hope they win). What happened to them is horrible.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Spin control. And not a very good job of it either. You may want to search Cedar Glenn on here. Start in the consumer reports. ;)

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
well.... Steve Sheppard doesnt know anything about this. We have been through this before with Cedar Glenn.

And to be honest, there reputation was destroyed two years ago for not fullfilling their promise. Ask anyone who has ordered through there before and you will see.

luigee: take it from the people who live by them, they are not a company to deal with!!!!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I can't believe a person would risk their money on this company. Second, from what I read in what you posted they don't even met the JURISDICTIONAL PRE-CONDITIONS TO SUIT to file a lawsuit against the post office. "As is clear from an examination of the language of this code section, before suit may be filed against the United States Government, an administrative claim must be filed with the federal agency alleged to be vicariously or independently responsible for the act or omission which caused the injury. This requirement is a mandatory jurisdictional pre-requisite to suit. If an administrative claim is not timely filed, a putative plaintiff cannot sue the United States Government thereafter. "

There are so many conditions that must be met to sue in Federal Court it isn't even funny. Besides look to spend about $250K to bring the suit and that is just to get it heard.

Lastly, please check these people out before you send them their money. They are not a registered company in Washington State. They have an "F" rating with the BBB, the list goes on and on. I wouldn't buy honey from these people, let alone bees.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well since UPS doesn't insure bees I figured they were talking about the USPS. Not my fault they don't know how to spell it out in their email.

"The thing about this that always puzzled us was that on the same day we shipped about twenty packages of bees from the same lot that went through the Redmond office. They were all delivered in good shape with no problems.. Every package that went to the Seattle office that day arrived dead at the customers address the next day."

·
Registered
663 Posts
I did get 10 packages from them this Spring. Thankfully they delivered them to me in Portland on their way back up to Washington. When I met them they pulled up in a flat bed pickup with a couple hundred packages wrapped in a single blue tarp. Many of the exterior packages were soaking wet, cold and clearly dead and dying. As I was the first person to get bees from them, I essentially got first dibs and they provided me packages full to the brim with living bees. I do remember wondering what they would tell the poor saps who got the dead packages. Now it is clear how they attempted to solve that problem...

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts