Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching this show on the Bermuta triangle and thinking that if planes and ships get lost due to the magetic poles being off ....i wonder about bees navigation

with that thought in mind ......

How many have heard about the Vortex's areas ??? like in Oregon and other places where anti gravity is there and other things just dont "add" up

marbles roll up hill and the such

http://www.psychologie.tu-dresden.d.../www.illusionworks.com/html/mystery_spot.html

thats the link to such things

now the reason for my post ......

what would happen if we put a hive in those area's and compaired the hives to each other and others in "normal" areas

and if the bees can survive the area's maybe we can breed those bees to get strong bees that can over come being disorintated

Just a thought -

also if a test had been done - is there results that can be read online ???

thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
" Nevertheless, these tourist attractions contain some of the strongest visual illusions known. "

From your link. Key word being "visual illusions".

I think you would do better keeping your bees from being disoriented by keeping them away from neo nicitoid bearing plants. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
I've been to the Oregon Vortex near Grants Pass somewhere and the ones in Sedona, AZ. My brother-in-law asked how one knows that there's a vortex, and my reply was that when $50 bills begin flying out of your wallet you know you're there. I would submit that vortexes do not exist and therefore have nothing to do with beekeeping problems.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Still too cold to be out working the bees, I guess.

But to answer your question, when you tilt your hives 25 degrees to make them believe they're in the Woo-woo-woo Zone like the tourist traps do, they're going to make a nightmare of the comb as the hanging frames mess up the bee space.

Wayne

·
Registered
854 Posts
A simple google search of "honey bees magnetism" returns much that responds to your inquiry on this board, "concrete bees". Bees use the earth's magnetic field to navigate very similarly to homing pigeons. Research done on the building of honey combs by bees within controled magnetic fields has yielded surprising shapes. You are on to something that has been researched since at least the sixties but probably even much earlier. OMTCW

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Why would such a thing only occur now? Has the earth's magnetic field shifted substantially in the last few years? And why would bees in many places be affected if only these "vortices" cause CCD?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm with Kieck. The magenitic poles are always shifting and the magnetic field strength is continuously and rapidly changing. It would be hard to use this to explain a recent phenomenon.

Why don't these vortices ever show up in landfills or industrial parks? They always show up in places of natural beauty...;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a spot around here where the cars will magically roll up hill...until you check the road with a level. Just looks uphill. Optical illusions can really fool some people.

Has the earth's magnetic field changed at some point(s)? Probably. Would you notice it from one coast to the next? Probably not. Unless you were in the local fair's Gravitron. That ride gets me every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts