Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually saw the swarm happen as they were leaving their home at the city hall in town. I came outside and the air was full of bees flying. They had just started to gather on some bushes so I ran home to get a nuc box to put them in. When I got back this was waiting for me....

I got it into my nuc box without issues, but then transferred it to a 10 frame deep as it was so large. I left it alone for a couple hours thinking it would be OK until I went home for the day. WRONG! I came outside later this afternoon, and saw them flying about 30 feet up near a maple tree. You guessed it, they vacated my box and ended up on a rather large tree limb way out of my reach. My buddy know people at the local FD so he got them over there with a ladder truck and I was able to catch them again! I couldn't get them all, but I got 90 percent of them, hopefully the queen too! I got lit up on my hands, probably 8-9 stings on both. They are swollen right now, but Im happy! I brought them home and hived them in a 10 frame deep hive and put a frame of capped brood, larvae/honey in with them. Hopefully they will stay!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mayor of the city was out there watching as all of this was going down, he was happy to get the bees gone! FD is a block from where I caught the swarm, don't think too much taxpayer money was lost!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I got it into my nuc box without issues, but then transferred it to a 10 frame deep as it was so large. I left it alone for a couple hours thinking it would be OK until I went home for the day. WRONG! I came outside later this afternoon, and saw them flying about 30 feet up near a maple tree. You guessed it, they vacated my box and ended up on a rather large tree limb way out of my reach. My buddy know people at the local FD so he got them over there with a ladder truck and I was able to catch them again! I couldn't get them all, but I got 90 percent of them, hopefully the queen too! I brought them home and hived them in a 10 frame deep hive and put a frame of capped brood, larvae/honey in with them. Hopefully they will stay!!!!
Better to error on the side of too much room for very large swarms, a couple of deeps would have been fine for a swarm that large.

Congratulations.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts