Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is anticipating our first 3 packages of bees in a couple weeks. We're in a small town with no other beekeepers to my knowledge, so my husband built an extra hive so we'd have one in case we had the opportunity to catch a swarm in the future. Turns out, we got THREE calls in a week's time--before the arrival of our packages. We caught and kept one small swarm, couldn't get a BIG swarm out of a storm drain in town, and caught a beautiful basketball size swarm from someone's yard. Brought the basketball swarm home, put in the hive and felt good about beginning beekeeping!! The next day, they were all (but about 50) GONE. Any ideas on why? We've read everything we can get our hands on for the past few months (my husband a lot longer than that), watched youtube videos, and learned all we can. I can't find anyone addressing our particular problem.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Did you feed them anything while they was in the hive???..Once you put them in the hive its best to keep feed on them so that it will help them stay!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did feed them and felt pretty comfortable that we had the queen because the straggler bees went right in the box too. (Granted, we're novices and could have misread bee cues!) It's comforting to hear you say that bees do what they want--my husband was of the same opinion. I, on the other hand, wanted to be sure they didn't leave because of some error of mine by overlooking something simple that would be obvious to a seasoned beekeeper. And I want to be ready for the next call because catching that swarm was SOOO exciting!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
rob a frame of brood from the small swarm and put in with your next swarm, or do a search here on "newspaper combine" and put your next swarm above the small one. good luck,mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts