Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a small swarm in mid May and installed in Nuc. They built it out so I moved them several weeks ago to a 10F deep and fed 1:1 to encourage building out 5 new deep frames. Well, this morning I was on deck and watched the little buggers swarm. It kinda surprised me, as there was room, unless this is an abscond. At any rate they decided about 70' up a red oak back in the woods was a good temporary settling place, so they're a little beyond my reach.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Trapped a swarm in late Apr. and they swarmed on me last week. I had them in a 5 over 5 working downward. I guess they didn't see the bottom box as more space. Went in last Friday and found a virgin running around with 5 swarm cells so I split them. Guess I lost the honey but gained a hive. Hopefully they both come back mated successfully. Part of me was curious if a prime swarm would swarm again. Indeed they will if they perceive they are out of space.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
... Hopefully they both come back mated successfully. Part of me was curious if a prime swarm would swarm again. Indeed they will if they perceive they are out of space.
They will.
They need to be managed just as any regular colony appropriately to the size.

I know about 4-5 of my swarms will need to be split mid-summer or I risk the re-swarming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts