Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught a small swarm yesterday. It was about the size of a softball they covered one side of a deep frame. My question is should I let them try to make it on there own or should I combine them with one of my other small nucs. I would really like to see if I can get some of the genetics from the queen. I was surprised when I got there and saw such a small swarm. I was not even sure it was a swarm until I found the queen. I asume it must of been a secondary swarm. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I caught one last year in mid july that ended up producing a surplus in sept/oct from pepper. Put them on a few empty drawn comb if you have it and feed. Also adding a frame or two of capped brood from other hives if you have it will boost the population quickly, they will make it they just need a little help.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I forgot to say I did put a frame with some brood on one side and a little honey on the other side. That was the only drawn comb I have. I figured the capped brood should hatch pretty soon and give them a boost. But, why was the swarm so small? I would think it would have been hard for them if they had to find a new home and start from scratch. We are starting our flow so there is nectar to be gathered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts