Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fortunate to have somebody lead me to a local university to capture a swarm in a tree. There happened to be two in the tree...one much smaller. Next day I answered another Facebook post and it was at the same place again. Turns out this one was spotted leaving the universities' local beekeeping club hives. I got a chance to meet a few of the members and tried to show them how to manage swarms on the campus so people don't get too mad at them, making a swarm pole, having a nuc box available, etc. They seem to be somewhat new to the whole beekeeping experience. Got to work this morning and while in a meeting got a call direct from the school this time to come pick up another, which I did over my lunch break. I'll try my hand at posting a link to a picture I took of the 3rd swarm I caught.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=564227773694118&set=pb.100003207025098.-2207520000.1399317057.&type=3&theater

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Collecting a swarm this morning, we soaked one little tree pretty thoroughly with syrup laced with lemon grass oil. We speculated on the possibility we were turning the tree into a swarm lure.

We don't know where these bees came from but there's a good chance we know their former owners. Considering we filled a nuc box and had to leave some behind, somebody lost one huge number of bees, due to failing to prevent swarming.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 2nd year I flunked swarm management and caught about a dozen swarms from my own hives all in the same cedar tree. Most were on the same branch. Made checking for swarms very easy that year.

Learned when you find a feral colony you can put some lemon grass oil in a reachable visible spot north east of the colony about 10 - 25 yards away. Most swarm when there is a southwest wind and seem to drift downwind of the parent colony to stage.

Makes it easy for the homeowners to spot and give you a call.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts