Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to inspect my hives after work today. Before we suited up we walked out to just look at the activity. We’d been standing out there maybe 10 minutes when we noticed a swarm on a pecan limb I had cut last week and put on the brush pile. I’m not sure if it’s one of my original colonies but it may be. One of my hives seemed to have a few less bees and it had swarm cells, but the number of bees I collected was massive(at least to me). I put them in a deep with some capped honey nectar and pollen. Gotta find me another feeder quick.
They were only about 2-3 feet off the ground and 30 feet from my hives. I used a 5 gallon bucket and was able to get most of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a blast. We were both grinnin the whole time.

I forgot to add after we put the new hive back together several of the bees stayed outside the entrance facing in fanning their wings. Was that to disperse queen pheromones to the “stragglers”?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Enjoy the good feeling now while you can.
After a while you realize:
Many swarms you will never find.
Of those you find,many are out of reach.
Your wife calls when you're at work and you come home and there're gone.
Your neighbor calls and ask if you've lost some bees because there is a HUGE clump of bees by their back door(and you're at work).
You realize that the hive that swarmed now won't make much honey.
You lie awake at night worrying about swarming.

Not trying to be a buzz kill but put up a swarm trap about 100 ft from your colonies.
You could get lucky and then you can be really happy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the fun never ends.

Went out to look at the hives about 2:30 but before I made it I noticed a cloud of bees in the adjacent field. The bees I caught yesterday were swarming again. This time they settled on a small branch about 7-8 feet off the ground. I got on my ladder with a 5 gallon bucket and was able to get the biggest part of them. I put a frame of drawn comb in and sealed the entrance with a rag. Hopefully that will make her want to stay.

It was really cool watching the cloud get smaller and the cluster on the limb get bigger.

Any advice is welcome. Please.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
The biggest problem is if the queen is a virgin and you seal the entrance. I have never had a swarm abscomb once they all start entering the box that I throw most of them in. I wonder if the swarm got separated from the queen. I usually put two drops of lemon grass oil in the box that I throw a swarm in. I am by no means an expert and so take the above with a grain of salt.

I also usually leave the box right under where the swarm was until night time (except one time when I just carried the bucket to a close by hive that was set up).

I don't know if any of the above will help, it is just what I do most times.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hi jsneed, glad you got that first swarm. They are sometimes few and far between. Glad you got the second chance to rematch it. Feed em up, and they will draw comb up fairly fast. If ya need any help, I'm not to far away. Cullman, east Lawrence, and Decatur. Will be putting some hives out in east Lawrence soon. Good luck with the bees. Call if ya need. Richard

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations JSneed!

I captured my first swarm today also. This will be my first bees since I kept bees 20 years ago. Going to be fun!

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they’re gonna stay this time.

I left the rag in the entrance until about 10:00. I kept an eye on them off and on all day. At dusk they were still there. They consumed half a quart of sugar water in about 24 hours. They also got a pollen patty for good measure.

I appreciate all the advice and comments. And,Rich, I’ll be in touch soon. Turkey season ends tomorrow and I’ll be able to concentrate after that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s the pic of Friday’s swarm.

Got home from hunting about 10:30 and went out to look at the hives. Everybody looked “normal” so I stood there 5 or 6 minutes and decided to walk around the pond. That may have taken 7-8 minutes. When I got back around to the hives I heard a lot of buzzing above and behind me. Yet another swarm was coming in. And it did not appear that they were leaving my hives but just coming in from above. They landed on a branch on the edge of the brush pile about 18 inches above the ground. The branch that I put LGO on the other day after the first swarm thinking if it happened again that would be an easier spot to access and it was. My wife held a box on the ground as I picked the branch up and shook it. We put them in a box and are hoping for the best.

Today’s swarm

Attachments

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
JSneed:

Congratulations on the swarm catch- hopefully this is the first of many for you. Sorry they were a little persnickety...

Good luck to you this year!

Russ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swarm number four was the most fun yet.

Got home from work today and my is waiting outside. “Hurry, we have another swarm and you won’t believe where!“

It was hanging under the front of hive 6. I figured the swarm I caught Sunday was swarming again. I opened the hive and there were lots of bees still there so I don’t think it was them. All the other hives had “normal” activity and occupancy so I think it may be a secondary swarm from where ever the swarm I caught Sunday came from.

The catch was about the coolest thing I’ve ever experienced.
The hive stand is made of two 4x4s on cinder blocks. They were in the 4 inch space between the bottom board and cinder block which made using a box or bucket no good. So I put one of the 5 frame nuc boxes my bees came in on the ground beside me and scooped them with my hands and put them in the box.

That makes 4 catches in 8 days. I’m blown away.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts