Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to bee keeping. I caught a swarm and placed them in my hive. How long before I start seeing eggs. The bees are drawing out comb and storing pollen. I have a feeder on the hive.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Give it a week but don't sweat it. Sometimes it's longer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A swarm showed in my yard a couple days ago, I got it into a hive and placed a feeder with 1:1 sugar with some HoneyBHealthy additive. They gobbled up a quart in a day. The hive I have I got from a friend from a hive he split a couple yrs ago, so this is my first rodeo with a swarm hive. (Actually, I'm fairly certain the swarm came from my hive, as I believe it was fixin to split. That's another story...)

Questions: how much and how long should a new swarm be fed? Should the feeder be kept full, or let it run dry between feedings? And how long should a new swarm hive have a feeder on, being it's spring and flowers abound right now?

- djb

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
It's probably your own swarm but no matter.

Swarms are fantastic at drawing wax so take advantage of their potential and keep them fed. Since swarms "know" that they need to make comb for the queen to lay in, they get right to work and they often produce new comb faster than existing colonies. Feeding them gives them fuel and since comb is very valuable...let them work as hard as they can!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts