Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from a farmer friend of mine. He went out this morning to work some ground and noticed about a softball sized swarm on his chisel plow. He didn't want to mess around with them so he called me and started plowing. Which I wish he wouldn't have. But anyways when I got there the swarm had fallen off the implement and was just on the ground. I walked over and layer a nuc box sideways. And swiped some of the bees in the box. Immediately te rest started following. So I put the box back together and put it next to the bees. They were marching in like crazy. I will go pick it up tonight. WHat do you think my chances are that I got a queen. It's not a huge swarm by anymeans and I'm hoping I can get them through. What's my next step. As always thank you guys

·
Registered
531 Posts
i would say that if they willingly walked in like that and are still in the box when you go back tonight, then her highness is in there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just went and picked the swarm up. They were still in the nuc. I would say at most there was maybe 1 frame of bees. More like 3/4. I put a jar feeder on top of the lid. I figured I would give them a week and take a peek inside and see what we got. Does a swarm of this size have any hope of getting strong enough before winter

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just placed one from a swarm box into a nuc on may 16. They may have been a frame and a quarter of bees. the nuc had 1 frame drawn comb from trap, about a quarter of a frame that the swarm drew out, 2 frames with foundation, and I added 1 frame of capped brood.I did feed using a entrance feeder with a robbing screen. I had to transfer them today into a 10 frame deep all 5 frames of the nuc was drawn and had capped brood, eggs and larva in 4 of the 5. one frame was honey and pollen. If your queen lays good they will surprise you.

Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts