Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was marking queens and a small mating nuc swarmed right in front of me! I keep my dead queens in a small jar of rubbing alcohol which I happened to have near by. I dipped my finger into the jar and then ran out and dabbed the fluid on low branches....and then for kicks I ran into the middle of the cloud of bees and they landed on my hand!
They felt really neat crawling and grabbing on to hold the cluster up. I kept them on my hand for a good 15 minutes watching and then I slipped them into a small hive with a frame of brood and they seem to be staying. By far the best swarm experience I have ever had!

Later in the evening I noticed another small swarm had landed on one of the branches that I had dabbed with the magic liquid. Keep those dead queens!

Yes I need to make the nucs less strong!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Cool!

I can tell you what not to do with that "smelly" hand. Don't stick it in a strong queenright hive. I caught a few virgin queens last week and then harvested a queen cell to make split. I got the donor frames and bees from my strongest hive. As soon as I grabbed a frame with my middle finger, they tried to terminate the "queen" with extreme prejudice. Three stings to the cuticle will bring tears to your eyes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I thought this post was going to be like a Paul Bunyan type tall tale, but was amazed when I opened it and saw your photo. That is amazing. And capturing it in a photo is just
amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I have two dead virgin queens I kept. If I put them in alcohol will it work like yours?

Adding them fresh would have helped. Virgins don't have nearly the pheromones of a laying queen. I would add them to the alcohol. I wouldn't count on amazing results until you have added some laying queens to the mix...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Waaaay cool! Best swarm catch ever?

Now, how do I get my wife to stand still and catch a swarm while I make the video?

;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep selfie it was. It is my only choice as I work alone. I had a veil sitting on my head as I walked into the swarm but it was not tied on tight and bees got up in it so I pulled it off which was so much nicer. I think my jar of alcohol has at least 30-40 queens in it along with a drop of lemon grass oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts