Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cought a swarm on August 17th and put them in a ten frame hive body. It is day 9 now and I still have no eggs in any of the frames. I inspected the swarm three days after I cought it, and I did see the queen walking around on the frames. I looked for the queen again last night, but did not see her. I took a frame full of eggs from one of my other hives and put in with them in case something happened to her, then they can make a new queen. I don't know if anybody sells queens this late or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My swarm queens seem to produce later than packages. This year I had the same problem. After almost three weeks I ordered a new queen and when I went to install her there were eggs everywhere. Give it a few more days before ordering a new queen. Just my advise.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This late in the season, I wonder if your swarm has time to prepare for winter survival? Queenless or not, might you be better off uniting them with one of your weaker colonies to assure their winter survival? Just a thought.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
82 Posts
From my ex[eriences swarm queens take a few days longer to go to laying. Remeber she stopped layin and "slimmed down" for flight. Now she has to "plump" back up. I agree it is cutting it close on a swarm in PA. If you have frames already drawn out you can give them you will be fine. If they are on new foundation you will have to really feed feed feed and hope they make it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
IMHO survival is slim this late in the season. Unless they can help build a weaker hive, I wouldn't invest time or effort beyond assembling existing gear and maybe a bag or two of sugar. If they appear to prosper, I'd try to get them fat and happy.

The swarm may have one or more virgin queens and if so, egg laying will be later than you may expect. They may provide a learning experience and anything beyond that is gravy. The little books are great for explaining what bees do until the girls decide to do something different.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I also use late season swarms to equalize weak hives. I will evaluate the queen and go with the swarm queen if she show good attributes. If the queen was lost many times the swarm will abscond and hook up with another hive in the yard.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas. I am going to continue to feed and see what happens. It was a nice size swarm. There are bees on all ten frames. I am going to continue to feed and see how they do. The golden rod is just now coming on where I live. I will check there progress after the golden rod and maybe decide then to combine them with an other hive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts