Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Today my second year hive swarmed and half the hive flew into a nearby tree. I was able to get the swarm into a new box. I gave them a frame of honey and a bunch of frames of empty comb. They have been in the new hive a few hours now and things look good so far.
I plan to move the box to its permanent location tonight after dark. Then I will likely leave it alone for a week or so before checking in on them again.
My question is, will it create an issue or confusion if I move the new hive next to the old hive they just swarmed out of? Also, any other tips or advice on encouraging the new hive to stick around would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Congrats! People have had success moving the hive back to the same area and have had success putting open brood in the hive to encourage them to stick around. If you do that and open the hive, you might want to put some foundation in too and have them draw comb for you. Make it quick. Feeding them will also encourage them to draw comb. If you have a good flow on they might not take sugar water, but I would try it. J

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
My question is, will it create an issue or confusion if I move the new hive next to the old hive they just swarmed out of?
Welcome to Beesource, Norcalguy. And congratulations in successfully snagging the swarm.

I have had fairly good success with relocating colonies in the evening and then partially occluding their entrance to force the foragers to reorient before taking off.

The best thing for this purpose that I have found is a fresh pine tree branch (or something similar) that has numerous fine needles/leaves.

I have also read of people who simply build a visual barrier around the opening that presents something of a obstacle course for the leaving bees to navigate.

Either way, after 72 hours you can remove the obstruction and the bees will re-re-orient to their current home and now unobstructed entrance.

Best of success to you this season.

Russ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts