Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Relatively new beekeeper here. In Los Angeles. I have had my one hive since last June from a swarm I collected. It’s doing great as of now.

I put up a swarm trap a few weeks back. Lots of rain in our area this winter, but Feb 13th was a nice warm day, and a swarm moved into my trap.

Then it really started raining again, for about 5 straight days. When that deluge ended. I was able to transfer them to a 10 frame medium with a combo of drawn comb and new foundationless frames and reduced the entrance.

I inspected them for the first time today. No eggs. Plenty of nectar. I see pollen coming in. I see the queen. She is moving fast around the comb. She is relatively small compared to my known mated queen in my one hive.

As a beginner. My guess is that I have trapped an Afterswarm. And I have an unmated queen. As I expect I would see open brood by now if she was an older mated queen

Perfect weather today and for the next few days. Assuming she goes on a mating flight, assuming drones are out there.

How long til I should see eggs. 5-8 days. So by next weekend?

Also. At what point do I add a frame of eggs from my busy hive to see if they want to raise a new queen? Is there any harm in giving them open brood?

Thanks for any/all input.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Haven't seen many swarms but I have seen pushing 2 weeks for eggs.
Brood frame is an "apple a day" cure. Not going to hurt.
Sit back and relax, watch them fly and bring in pollen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts