Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let the swarm occupy the trap for a week. I took it down early this morning and moved it 10+ miles to another yard. When swapping the frames I did not see any eggs or capped brood. It had a good amount of bees though. What are my options here? Wait it out to see if it was a virgin queen swarm? At what point do I give up and recombine? I don't want to wait too long and lose them altogether. Maybe this is par for the course with some swarms... I don't have enough experience with them to know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,120 Posts
Probably had a virgin. She needs about a week after mating to start laying, sometimes sooner, but that's the average I've seen in my yard.

Since you moved it a week after moving in she likely just mated and needs some time to lay. Check again in a week and if she returned from her mating flight she should be laying by then.

If not, give them another week and have a backup plan on hand such as a locally mated queen, or a few frames of brood from another hive to boost them up and give them something to raise a new queen from.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
takes 8 days to cap brood assuming she laid eggs the first day, likely they take a day to clean some cells so there would not have been capped brood any way.
Agree with Mtnmyke, give them some time.

GG

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have it, you could give them a frame of brood and eggs. If you don’t have a queen, they’ll make one. If you do have a queen, that brood will be a welcome boost to the colony.

If you don’t have the brood to give, then 1 week could still be early. Give them another week. If they chose your box, and there are plenty of bees, then everything should be in order - unless the queen didn’t survive her mating flights.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will give them another week and if I still don't see anything I will swap in a frame of brood/eggs to see if they do something with that. Thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts