Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Beesource, I am an aspiring Bee-Breeder in Western NY, recently I was catching up on my info from some old Bee-Books because I like to keep the info fresh in my head, and I noticed a strain of bees called Caucasians that are seldom used in Beekeeping. The reason they are seldom used is apparently because they over-use propolis, and have a Nosema Susceptibility problem, but everything else about them sounds amazing, Extreme Gentleness, Low Swarm-rate, Winter Hardiness, and apparently very Calm on the Comb. I have asked a few other communities of Beekeepers on the Internet, but came up with very few results.

I was wondering if anyone here had any places they know of that stocks Caucasian bees, I know they will be hybrids with other bees, but if they notably resemble the description of Cauci's I have in my book, then I'll be satisfied. Also, and this probably won't really matter much to the question I'm asking, but I will be raising Carniolans, Russians, and local Mutts alongside the Caucasians, all Queens will be free-mated with Drones from these hives in hopes that I can get bees that possess positive traits from all types.

Thanks Beesource, Cole.

·
Registered
269 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I received two caucasian queens from John Jacob of Old Sol Apiaries out of Rogue River, Oregon...these were a limited release. I am looking forward to see how they will fair in our damp, rainy, and cool Southern Oregon Coastal weather. John's website is oldsolbees.com or his phone 541-582-2337.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I saw a few discussions on Russian "beesource" on this regard. If I remember correctly, Caucasian strain does not exist anymore in Caucasus Mountains. It has replaced on "karpatka." There are some Georgian sources claiming that they have Caucasian bees. According Russian bee-people, Georgian (as well as other former soviet Republics) variety is not true Caucasian bee. Who knows, may be in US true Caucasian bee survived? Same is true for so called "Russian bee" (mid-Russia more correctly) strain - it does not exist anymore being replaced by "foreign" bees. US "Russian" strain is different - it is "Primorsk region" strain. Most popular bee strains in Russian are Carnica and Buckfast replacing popular in the past "karpatka."

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The Russian bees being sold in the US that the Bee Lab imported is a natural hybrid cross of several bee breeds, Italian, Caucasian, and others.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
thank you cerezha for your insight
You are very welcome! It is so unfortunate that most "indigenous" Russian bees are gone. Mainly, it was happened during fabulous perestroika time when all bee-keeping culture was destroyed. Russia (USSR) used to have special government agency to control the purity of the strains - everyone could sent sample to them for analysis. They had special isolated facilities in Siberia and other places to keep bee-stocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Beesource, I am an aspiring Bee-Breeder in Western NY, recently I was catching up on my info from some old Bee-Books because I like to keep the info fresh in my head, and I noticed a strain of bees called Caucasians that are seldom used in Beekeeping. The reason they are seldom used is apparently because they over-use propolis, and have a Nosema Susceptibility problem, but everything else about them sounds amazing, Extreme Gentleness, Low Swarm-rate, Winter Hardiness, and apparently very Calm on the Comb. I have asked a few other communities of Beekeepers on the Internet, but came up with very few results.

I was wondering if anyone here had any places they know of that stocks Caucasian bees, I know they will be hybrids with other bees, but if they notably resemble the description of Cauci's I have in my book, then I'll be satisfied. Also, and this probably won't really matter much to the question I'm asking, but I will be raising Carniolans, Russians, and local Mutts alongside the Caucasians, all Queens will be free-mated with Drones from these hives in hopes that I can get bees that possess positive traits from all types.

Thanks Beesource, Cole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I received two caucasian queens from John Jacob of Old Sol Apiaries out of Rogue River, Oregon...these were a limited release. I am looking forward to see how they will fair in our damp, rainy, and cool Southern Oregon Coastal weather. John's website is oldsolbees.com or his phone 541-582-2337.
So how are your Caucasian Bees doing? [email protected]

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
And then there is this post from consumer reports here on Beesource.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,881 Posts
No dog in this fight. Just passing on information. It is what we as a community do for each other.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Do a google search on Bob Binnie, Caucasian bees. He has some video of his thoughts on incorporating caucasian genetics. Cant remember whether there are breeders names mentioned. I think you can "take to the bank" anything Binnie recommends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do a google search on Bob Binnie, Caucasian bees. He has some video of his thoughts on incorporating caucasian genetics. Cant remember whether there are breeders names mentioned. I think you can "take to the bank" anything Binnie recommends.
I am going to Bob's store Easter weekend to pick up bee packages and 2 Caucasian Queens.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I am going to Bob's store Easter weekend to pick up bee packages and 2 Caucasian Queens.
If you insist on the Caucasians, be great if you run a wing analysis on them and see if they actually conform to the Caucasian metric:

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,881 Posts
Also, met Bob at Kamon Reynolds Bee Hive Conference at the beginning of January, a Really nice man.
I agree. I had an opportunity to speak with him as well and had the same impression.

Reactions: ankklackning
1 - 20 of 25 Posts