Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hive bodies out for swarm traps, and since it stopped raining for a minute I thought I might go renew the LGO on them and check to see if anything is going on with my fauna..

So as expected, I have a huge crop of earwigs. I wish they were good for something, because I sure can catch and raise a whole awful lot of them. :)

I had a bunch of ants move in under the cover carrying their eggs around and scurrying arroud when I checked before. I sprinkled a bunch of cinnamon on the inner cover, and today, there were very few ants. And a handful of sow bugs. (Rolly-Pollies, pill bugs whatever you call them).

No SHB and in the shade trap, there were no wax moths... Unfortunately in the sunny trap my old comb has a bunch of was moths. Webs and larva. Pulled out what I could by hand and closed it back up.

So as a question, when putting out frames of "old brood comb" in the swarm trap, how does one avoid malignant fauna? Specifically, wax moths. In this case I have some acorn frames, so worst case they will strip all the old comb off the plastic foundation. But I know in the past, wax moths, actually chewed into the wood of my frames and made a ****ed awful mess of things. If I had this equipment in the shop I would have it open to light and such pr para-moth etc. , but that is not really an option in the bait hives.

It is interesting that even with old comb, but no honey, pollen or brood I don't see any signs of SHB. I would have expected them. The lizards should be out soon, we have a bunch of anoles and 5 lined skinks in this state, maybe one of them could move in and eat up the wax moths. But so far no luck. On a good note, I did see an actual honey bee come around and sniff the frames as I was going through the hive dumping the earwig poop and clearing the wax moth webs. So maybe she can tell her friends I have a room to rent. :)

Tip of the day, get a bunch of LGO on your hands and everything you eat or drink the rest of the day will taste like lemons. Saves having to cut one up for you tea :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
One old frame is probably sufficient,any more and you will be increasing the number of wax moth eggs. The first place wax moth hits is between frames.
I use 1 old comb,5 foundation and 6 foundationless . My old comb is not really "old" but a empty dark brood comb taken from an active colony in the spring.Never see wax moth in my traps but I'm in the NE.
I do find SHB in swarms.
Think about it.Wax moth are natures recyclers and coexist with bees.If the bees like your trap,a few grubs won't stop them.
As for the other critters,location can help.
Off the ground,a little bit of sun but not full sun,and good air flow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts