Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to get the word out that you will pick up swarms. I would love to get a few. do you advertise in the local paper? id love any ideas you have. thanks.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Give your name and phone number to the police and fire dept. dispatch, sheriff dept. and your Conservation dept.. If you belong to a bee club, get on there swarm catcher list. Good luck. Jack

·
Registered
206 Posts
I call all of my local exterminators. They keep my number in their phone and call me when someone calls them about bees. They don't want to harm the bees and are glad to have someone to call. I get several calls a year from them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have done all the above, plus gave my number to the Agriculture Extension Agent and the feed store. We have a website here, that is similar to craigslist, but it is local, and very read. I put my number there, as well. I have found that the older part of town, has an abundance of old oak trees, that are hollow, and house feral bees. They get a lot of swarms in that area. You might think about your area, and place swarm traps in that area.

·
Registered
504 Posts
In addition to what has already been said, many towns/counties have animal control officers (the "dog catcher" of old). Often they have a swarm list as well.

Last year, most calls I got were from a couple of websites that have swarm lists.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Everyones advice is right on thye have covered pretty much all of the locations I advertise with.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah, I called the Fire Department, and they kept my number, but also gave it to the Animal Control people. 4 days later, I got a call from someone that got my number from the Animal Control.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Run an ad on your local radio stations that have a trading post or swap shop type program. I don't know if they have that tpe of program on the radio in your part of the country, but if they do it will help get the word out for you. Works for me and it is free for the ad on swap'n shop.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Post on findabeekeeper.com, ebeehoney.com and honeyrunapiaries.com. Your phone will literally ring off the hook during swarm season! I turned down 12 calls in one day last year due to all of my equipment being full!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Excellent suggestions, everyone. I made up a bunch of fliers a couple of days ago and have been putting them up around town. I'll get a hold of the exterminators and such tomorrow.
You know, an old man told me that I'm foolish for doing all of this. He said I'll never be called about any swarms. I do so look forward to proving him wrong.:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Excellent suggestions, everyone. I made up a bunch of fliers a couple of days ago and have been putting them up around town. I'll get a hold of the exterminators and such tomorrow.
You know, an old man told me that I'm foolish for doing all of this. He said I'll never be called about any swarms. I do so look forward to proving him wrong.:D
If I am correct, you'll get 100 times more calls being on beeswarm removal lists, versus every flyer you put out. Internet swarmlists work! Especially in Oscoda, Montmorency, Otsego, Crawford, Cheboygan counties!!! Wait and see!!! I hope/know you'll catch many swarms and your phone will be ringing off the hook!

·
Registered
211 Posts
PS I'm in four of the five counties at least once a day anyways. If you live in northern Michigan, it's not uncommon to have to drive at least 30 miles to get to your destination. Plus, there isn't a quick route to get to my place, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts