Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this small tree on our property line. The tree is about 8 feet high with tiny white flowers all over it and they have a heavy aroma. Yesterday and I am sure today also but, it was covered with honey bees. I never seen so many.

I have 2 deeps for my package bees coming in April. Should I try and catch these bees with a trap if so how, and without having to order anything? Or should I just wait till after I get my packaged bees, order a swarm trap and then try and catch them?

Craig

·
Registered
971 Posts
If you can get a hold of a deep with a couple frames of drawn comb (the rest bare foundation), you might set it out close to the trees. IT MIGHT, and I repeat, MIGHT, provide enough pheromones to attract a swarm. Your best bet would be to set it maybe 5' off the ground.
You will never know until you try. ;)

[ March 18, 2006, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ]

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Silverfox, I think the bees all over the tree are forage bees(I figured you know this). Sitting a box out at some tree they are collecting from is a real shot in the dark. I think the question was on how to collect these forage bees and make use of them. I am not sure though.

I would try tracking back to the colony that the bees are coming from. You may increase your swarm chances.

I would order your bees. Catching swarms is not easy. Unless you have a yard of 50 hives, Then you can catch them every day. ;)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>>There is this small tree on our property line. The tree is about 8 feet high with tiny white flowers all over it and they have a heavy aroma. Yesterday and I am sure today also but, it was covered with honey bees. I never seen so many.

Sounds like foragers and your topic mentions a swarm. A swarm is a group of bees looking for a home. Foragers are looking for food.

>I have 2 deeps for my package bees coming in April. Should I try and catch these bees with a trap if so how, and without having to order anything?

Trap probably isn't an accurate term. Bait hive is more accurate. IF they are looking to swarm, and they probably aren't, a bait hive with some pheromones may get their attention. During prime swarm season for your area (which could be now for all I know) you might have some luck or not.

>Or should I just wait till after I get my packaged bees, order a swarm trap and then try and catch them?

It doesn't take a "swarm trap". Just some bee equipment can work. The advantage to a swarm trap is that they are usually less investment.

·
Registered
971 Posts
BjornBee; Knew that, just went with the possiabilty that a swarm may take up residence in a swarm trap placed there as they are frequenting the area, you are right, if BB Bottom Board can follow the forgers back to the hive.
BB Bottom Board; Check out wild bees trapping (?) there are ways to follow bees back to their hive. If you have the time and enjoy outdoors, to me they sound like a fun way to tramp around your area. I personialy haven't tried any of them as I'd have to get a ways from my property to make it pay off. But where you don't have any hives yet, they may well pay off for you.
The deep with some drawn comb, as Michael Bush eluded to, makes an effective 'swarm trap', you can even put some lemon grass oil on a cotton ball in the hive on the bottom towards the rear of the hive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts