Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I got a call the night before to pick up a swarm of bees from a home in the suburbs of Sydney Australia.
The swarm is rather large about the size of two basketballs. I shake the bees into a box, wait for any flying bees to return to the box, then house them in a new hive.

The next video shows them being housed in a five frame nucleus hive

This video shows the bees being placed in a permanent home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oN0JgtezPA

Recorded 3 Oct 2015, on my Samsung Note 3

Apologies for the poor camera work. its pretty hard to do record this process on your own wearing gloves and using a camera phone, with thousands of potentially angry bees buzzing all over
you.

Next time ill get an apprentice to help with the filming ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow, beautiful, thanks for posting! I'm impressed that you could do it and film at the same time, no worries about the camera work. I loved hearing the Australian birds in the background, too. Congratulations on your nice big swarm.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Nice sized swarm. I like to hive swarms on drawn comb in a complete 10 frame medium hive. They are attracted to it like magnets and all the bees are easily smoked into the hive within half an hour or so. This size swarm may have required two ten frame mediums!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm going to move them into the 8 frame deep. I had no drawn comb. They just marched into the hive. The next video show how I got them to go in....all without smoke. These are really gentle bees from what I can during the day observing them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts