Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a small (3 lb?) swarm at the local Home Depot that I can get, or they will kill it. I have never captured a swarm before, but am ready to go. Is it better to catch them in a nuc, or just place it directly into an 8 frame medium? Why is one better than the other?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I like the 5 frame nucs for most of the swarms. Easier to carry, load, move around etc... Then get to feeding and let them build up for a month or so. If you don't mind the lifting and carrying the medium w/ lid, bottom etc... go for it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
NEVER assume it will fit in a nuc,, ALWAYS carry a full box and a nuc and when you get there,, make the decision which to use!! TOO many times I have been told by the person requesting the removal IT IS HUGE!! THOUSANDS of BEES!! only to find that it is a small swarm....

my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
In this case he had seen it and it was small, but I agree, I brought a nuc for a swarm, when home and got a deep, went home and got another deep once!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
For some swarms that may be too small. The issue is more the size of the swarm. I saw a photo of a swarm that would seem small in a mating nuc, but some are humongous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts