Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The landowner wants the bees removed from this huge Catalpa tree. I'm using the Hogan trap method. At this time I have a good seal on the only apparent entrance and empty deep in place. I will wait for warm weather and necture flow before I engage funnel entrance of trap. Before I do that I hope to introduce uncapped brood in an attempt to lure queen into trap. I will post updates when things start happening!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So for a long overdue update, I engaged the one way trap on May 17th after an unsuccessful attempt to lure out the Queen with uncapped brood. Two days later I added another frame of eggs and brood. Today I inspected the trap and looks like they have made several Queen cells. My question now is what to do next... Leave them there, or take what I have and bring back to my home apiary.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Take empty back and add a new box of comb wait a few days and drop in another frame of eggs you can keep doing this infill they are just too weak to draw cells and then keep the box there untill they are all there and combine it with one of your others if it isn't big enough

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have two deeps on the trap, they have almost filled the lower deep with nectar already. Should I let the queen develop there or bring all the bees I have so far home and continue to trap out the rest as they emerge? The idea is to get all the bees out of the tree and seal off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I took 10 frames including the superseding frame back to my home apiary. I left a 10 frame deep on the Hogan trap to continue with the trapout. I plan on taking all the bees from the tree and adding to the ones I brought back today. I will then seal the entrance per landowners request.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I may have gotten the queen on mine I checked mine and it had one frame of pollen two frames of nectar, wax makers festooning on the 4th frame building comb and an empty so I came back the next morning (Saturday) with a frame of eggs and young larva, opened them with no smoke pulled the outside empty slid everything over and stuck the brood closest to the tunnel, I waited 2 hrs and pulled the trap without opening it, just sealed it up and took it home Checked it today and although the larva was covered nicely with bees there had not been any emergency cells started it was just a quick look so I did not spot a queen but it does look promising

1 - 12 of 12 Posts