Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new bit of info i haven't seen discussed before, cat urine in the smoker!

Over the last few weeks there has been a nasty cat urine smell in the shed but i couldn't find the source.

Finally yesterday, i needed some more smoker fuel and a piece of burlap i picked up reeked of it, a cat has for whatever reason been scent marking on it. Highly disgusting :eek:. The area it had been pee'ing on was clearly visible but was now dried out, so not liking waste, I decided to get rid of it by burning it in the smoker.

Get's burned and turned into smoke i thought, shouldn't bother the bees.

Wrong! The bees didn't like it one bit, however i stubbornly persisted until that bit of burlap was gone. The bees were aggressive throughout though, the effect of the scent on them could be seen.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Furry critters often emit a smell of their own urine. If you have ever had a particularly furry dog, you will not help but notice that. I wonder if the cat urine is reminiscent of a skunk, opossum or racoon smell for your bees. You may have been gassing them with a similar scent of a predator.

Or maybe they just don't like cat piss.

Who knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts