Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
He did that. It was perfectly cleaned ... in a dishwasher.

:lpf:

I think the worst that I have done is burn the seasoning off one of my dutch ovens on a camp stove while out camping. I put the dutch oven on a camp stove, put a steam tray in it, and then put a 9" round pan in it. I was able to make good fresh cobbler this way. I did have to re season the bottom of the dutch oven after this though. Live and learn.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,793 Posts
Here is a picture of a nice pan of cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet. Fresh out of my new oven.

20201001_180333.jpg

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
Looks very nice JW
Tasted pretty good too. I added a can of whole kernel corn, drained, and half a small can of chopped green chilies to the batter before cooking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use mine for sautéing, pan-frying, searing, baking, braising, broiling, roasting, and even more cooking techniques. The more seasoned your cast-iron skillet is, the better flavor it's going to give to whatever you are cooking.

·
Registered
969 Posts
"Pie are round. Cornbread are square!"

I grew up with both being round but still like the joke:)
I make cornbread in a 12" round cast iron fry pan. It's good. We use it every day and my wife makes my daily bread in it, corn bread.

That pan, last week, after 14 years of daily use, suddenly CRACKED right across the bottom, leaking gravy across the stove top. Shocking! Bought a new 12" Lodge pan a few days ago at Walmart for 20$.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have three old wagner's I got at a yard sale. They were all rusty and in the garbage pile. The owner gave them to me for free thinking they were junk. An old timer told me how to easily restore them. Just throw them in a wood burner until they are glowing hot. Burns off all the crud. Let them cool down, buff off residue and season. Good to go. Also works for a pan that has been forgotten on the stove and has an impossible mess in it. Very protective of my cast iron. I don't let anyone else cook with it because they don't respect the season and don't clean it properly.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have three old wagner's I got at a yard sale. They were all rusty and in the garbage pile. The owner gave them to me for free thinking they were junk. An old timer told me how to easily restore them. Just throw them in a wood burner until they are glowing hot. Burns off all the crud. Let them cool down, buff off residue and season. Good to go. Also works for a pan that has been forgotten on the stove and has an impossible mess in it. Very protective of my cast iron. I don't let anyone else cook with it because they don't respect the season and don't clean it properly.
Have not seen cast iron pans at a garage sale in a long time.

Honestly I don't worry about the seasoning. It is so easy to restore. Just fry bacon and it's decent. In a week it's fine. Made corn bread yesterday actually. Didn't turn out as good as usual, I got impatient and flipped it too soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
Flipped it? Like a pancake?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Flipped it? Like a pancake?
Yes, depending on how moist the batter is. Once the bottom is nicely toasted I can slip a spatula under the bread and flip it to toast the 'top'. Since this is stove top cooking and not in the oven, the top will not brown unless it is flipped.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts