Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two colonies that I need to be very aggressive with swarm control because of their location. I was thinking of trying the Demaree method of swarm control but I don't like the idea of the drones getting stuck in the queen excluder. I was wondering if placing a Ross Rounds super (and possible another super of honey) on top of the bottom box would effectively keep the queen downstairs? Anyone ever tried this as a way to get comb honey without increasing your number of colonies? I really have too many and would prefer not to do a cut down split.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I was thinking of trying the Demaree method of swarm control but I don't like the idea of the drones getting stuck in the queen excluder.
A box of honey comb might indeed work ok - another approach would be to use a plywood QX which allows the drones to pass across it. No guarantees - but (imo) worth trying ...

Or - would access holes (small entrances) made in the boxes on either side of the QX be an answer ? (not familiar with Demaree, as swarming is not one of my problems - I have others :) )
LJ

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I've used a Ross Rounds super as a queen excluder, works most of the time, and only a few times has the queen layed in the RR, when you say bottom box, you only have 1 deep as a brood chamber?

·
Registered
765 Posts
RR work as qx for the most part. Queens some time lay a few cells in the bottom box. Not a big deal just keep those for yourself and cut the bad spots out. Do you have notched inner covers so you can use as a top entrance to let drones out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two deeps but after the manipulation there will be one on the bottom with the queen, then the comb honey super, then a super of honey, then another deep with all of the brood up top.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the notches taped up but will open them tomorrow when I inspect. I never saw any bees using them last season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts