Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with these carpenter bees? NOT bumblebees , they look liek them but have full black abdomen

I been noticing them around my hives chasing bees that come and go

I swatted one down today but 2 more showed up

whats the deal?

how do ya stop these from harrassing the bees?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
That's odd, I have a lot of carpenter bees in the yard without a problem.
I wonder if they want to nest in the wood of you're hive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have them, too. They not only harass my honey bees, they harass ME---dive bomb me, but have not stung. My beekeeping club spoke about them last year. Some kind of trap involving a soda bottle, soda (not diet) and oil, I think. I will find out and get back with you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
They are tearing up the fascia on my workshop. I am thinking of using a .22 pistol with rat shot to get rid of them. For sport.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi J-sin,
I'm a little confused are they carpenter bees or the wasp? The thread seams to have gone 2 different directions.

On the fascia boards, I've heard carpenter bees won't mess with treated, or painted wood.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have seen carpenter bees bore holes and do whatever they do in treated 4x4's that I have used for fencing. They have also bored holes in my porch fascia board that is painted. One morning, while having coffee, I heard what sounded like a .30 cal machine gun out back and looked and saw a red headed woodpecker hanging off the side of that fascia board trying to bore through to get at what I assume was the larvae from those bees!

·
Registered
246 Posts
If those bees are larger than honeybees. It may be an idea to make a trap with a funnel going in, and some holes that are large enough for the honey-bees to get out. Guess a netting that has holes of about the same or slightly larger than a queen-excluder should be about right.

If the trap attracts honey-bees, it probably has to be moved quite often though.;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
My son shot 4 of them (so far) out of the air with a pellet gun. I was amazed. He said that when they hover, if you aim quickly, you can get them. It saved a trip to buy rat shot.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
I don't understand why people feel the need to kill carpenter bees. They are not a stinging threat and honeybees will do just fine dealing with those that want to investigate their hive. The biggest issue with them is their wood boring, but there are ways to deal with that that don't involve killing them. I love sitting on my deck watching them hover around and chase after other flying things.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Hopefully, our "good" bees won't take the bait and be trapped...I'm gonna make one, but will keep a close eye on it to make sure the girls don't get into it.
Carpenter bees ARE good bees! How can we be the champion of honeybees and then in the next breath talk about killing other bees? Read up on and learn about carpenter bees. They pose little to no stinging threat and are a joy to watch.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
"Male bees are often seen hovering near nests, and will approach nearby animals. However, males are harmless since they do not have a stingerhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee#cite_note-2. Female bees do have a stinger, but are not aggressive, and will not sting unless directly provoked."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee

They will "chase" anything that gets near their nest. A Carpenter bee is no more able to do harm to a hive of honeybees as is a bumble bee or other stinging insects. A chased honeybee from a Carpenter bee does no harm. I see them chase birds as well. Since they (the chasers) don't have a stinger, the most they can do is intimidate. Long live the Carpenter bee. :applause:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts