My problem hive I inherited.....I made a stand with legs for it because I saw carpenter ants going in.
But even after that, and my legs with "moat", I was still seeing ants.
Today, I popped off the top, and there were A LOT of ants. This is a hive that is going to be a big project to completely break down. I'm going to have to use the "guillotine" method that Michael Bush suggested.
Anyway, I think I finally figured out that the ants are living in the migratory top. So the top went into a garbage bag which went into the freezer.
I don't have another top, so I had to rig something up. I knew that broken drawer would come in handy some day. And that second super is so rotten that the robber screen is useless. I probably need to take it off anyway.
This hive is like my foster child that I am trying to make into a responsible citizen.