Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some Carnolians last summer and so far really like them. I am aware of their tendancy to swarm. They seem to be building up well, but now after reading M Bush's website I am worried that I should not have started feeding them. They were pretty light on honey, but from what I read feeding can induce swarming. Just what I DON'T want to happen. I had all the swarming I could take last spring. I need some advice from Carnolian Beekeepers!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have mostly NWC and I treat them just like my Italians. I don't think that they are all that different except the small clusters in the winter. In also haven't noticed them swarming all that much (or any) more. They are Strachan's queens.

Honey production, defensiveness, and swarming seem to be the same to me as my Italians.

·
Registered
854 Posts
In the seventies, early eighties... the Carniolan strain was excellent for anyone wanting to increase his hives for a pollination business and not make much honey. They swarmed excessively and at times were difficult to take care of. However some very good work was done to breed out some of the swarming tendency and consequently we now have an excellent strain in the New World Carniolans. Just don't let the queens get any older than 2 years old. OMTCW

·
Registered
375 Posts
I look at the glass as half full! If your hive is swarmy, think healty! Think more hives! Woohoo!! :thumbsup: :D

BTW, I haven't had a hot hive since I switched. Oh, sure they headbutt and nip, but that's it.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Re: Carniolan Advice Needed

My first advice is to learn that some people are spelling and saying the word incorrectly. The word is Carniolan, not Carnolian. :D

I even read a recent article by a well-known bee scientist in Bee Culture, who misspelled it. :rolleyes:

---------------
About forty years ago I ran a few colonies of Midnite hybrids. They were very nice to work and the coloration was interesting too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't do stimulative feeding of the Carniolans (or any of the others) in the spring. But that is mostly because April/May is generally a dearth here. So its really a local conditions thing and not swarm prevention.

In my (limited) experience, they swarm about as much as the other races and mutts I've had.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
You need to inform us about your current hives
1. are you running double deeps?
2. do you pull frames of honey out of the brood nest area?
3. is the entrance wide open or restricted?
4 do you plan to have the hive draw out foundation?
4.1 do you plan to intersperse foundation into the hive AKA "checker boarding?
5. do you plan to make a divide to prevent swarming and to keep a queen available for future use?
6. did you start with a swarm? Remember, swarms produce swarms.
7. keep the brood nest open. keep the brood nest open.
Good luck
Ernie

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
You need to inform us about your current hives
1. are you running double deeps?
2. do you pull frames of honey out of the brood nest area?
3. is the entrance wide open or restricted?
4 do you plan to have the hive draw out foundation?
4.1 do you plan to intersperse foundation into the hive AKA "checker boarding?
5. do you plan to make a divide to prevent swarming and to keep a queen available for future use?
6. did you start with a swarm? Remember, swarms produce swarms.
7. keep the brood nest open. keep the brood nest open.
Good luck
Ernie

1. I use 3 mediums. Got away from deeps.
2. SHOULD I pull the honey out of the brood nest?
3. Entrance is still restricted
4. No on the checkerboarding.
4. Yes, I want them to draw out foundation.
5. I was hoping I wouldn't have to divide so I could get more honey, but will if they get too strong.
6. No, I did not start with a swarm. Requeened a hive last July.
7. How often would you check the broodnest???

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts