Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I have kept 2 hives for 3 years, and several neighbors are interested in getting a hive now (I'm not sure, really, who would end up doing the regular care on them, it might be me).

I have had fun with Italians but have wanted to try Carniolans also. If I am going to be helping/ managing a few new hives, this seems a good time to try them out. One supplier of Carniolan packages though mentions while they are often easier to work, they can be more defensive of the hive itself and this not always great for home setups.

1) While this certainly will vary from hive to hive, does this seem to match with others' experience for this variety?

I also have an observation hive (5, 2-frame sections- usually I work it by just putting a divider under and over each "section" of 2 frames and carrying that outside; this works fine usually, since I only need to open up the sections I want to work but it would be even easier if the Carni's are calmer to work (less likely to fly up etc). Mostly I just end up swapping out the top 2 or 4 frames to make room for stores. So far (2nd winter underway for this) I usually pull off 6 deeps and feed those back over the winter months, they seem to do well for an observation hive.

The harder part is the spring expansion; they never make a swarm cell on the outside... but again if they are easier to work then getting it totally worked would happen more. I"m thinking of putting up a baited capture box
in springs to give them someplace to go if I get behind it. They certainly don't wait until all sections are full before they start to swarm, that's for sure.

2) Thoughts on Carni's for observation hives welcome. Downside I can see managing spring growth and perhaps propolis, but if they are easier to work then managing the observation hive would be easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have one hive of carni's and 2 of Russians. The carni is the calmest of the 3. I often work it with no veil, gloves and sometimes in a tee shirt. But then I do the same with my Russians. However, my Russians tend to head butt a lot.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've got Carnis, MH Italians, regular Italians, and a couple formerly feral hives (Italian, by the looks of them), and it's been my experience that, overall, the Carnis are very easy-going, and tend to stay on the comb when you work 'em.

That said, so do most of my other hives. And at one time or another, depending on time of year and food stores, ANY hive will get a little ornery, including Carnis. But again, generally speaking, they're the most easy-going.

HOWEVER... I have found them to be the least resistant of all my bees to mite infestation. Every time I do a mite count, both the Carniolan hives have the highest numbers. In fact, if I lose a hive this winter it's likely gonna be one of the Carni hives--- I just can't get the mites under control on one hive in particular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts