Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wondered about this...

People have often talked about how carniolans will shut down the expansion of the hive when there's no food coming in. I find this interesting to look at.

I'd thought today, 'How long does the window of no food coming in have to be for the carniolans (or those with their genes) to shut down/slow down?' etc. Any ideas about this?

I guess a side note is if they have this ability, I also wonder if the queen egg tubes are sturdier than other bees, to deal with the shut down and be able to restart also?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
So I wondered about this...

People have often talked about how carniolans will shut down the expansion of the hive when there's no food coming in. I find this interesting to look at.

I'd thought today, 'How long does the window of no food coming in have to be for the carniolans (or those with their genes) to shut down/slow down?' etc. Any ideas about this?

I guess a side note is if they have this ability, I also wonder if the queen egg tubes are sturdier than other bees, to deal with the shut down and be able to restart also?
Im not sure about Carniolans yet but Im going to find out this year. I ordered 6 virgin queens that are within 1 generation of Sue Colbys line she brought from Slovenia,Germany.
I have 3 Russian hives and so far they are going through winter extremely well. Their clusters have been the size of a softball since a week after thanksgiving and they just keep on going.
Dont forget to clear those entrances. They can kill a hive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts